Monday, April 3, 2017

Sometimes Half Good is More than Enough

Half of this yearbook portrait turned out wonderfully and the other half slid off the rails. It started going bad after I was more than halfway finished so it was too late to make the necessary structural corrections. No matter. My goal with these portraits is never a hyper-realistic rendering; instead, I use yearbook reference photos to study value changes in the face and to help generate original character studies. Were I to repurpose this sketch into another project, I would simply crop out the offending bits and use the half I like...easy peasy, nothing queasy.

2 comments:

Miss Iowa said...

I crop out stuff all the time! And nobody needs to know. LOL

Loulou in Texas said...

I think your solution is a great one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...