Thursday, April 6, 2017

Art Projects & Displays at Work

Since I am a bit worried you all might be growing weary of yearbook portraits (I do have more of those to share,) I thought I'd switch things up a bit and show you what I've been up to at work. The Spanish students are just finishing up a miniature shrine construction project crafted from recycled paper gift boxes, tooling foil, and permanent markers. The little "milagro" inside the shrine is created from thin cardboard. These are my class samples. They are quite shiny so please forgive the dark photo; super reflective objects are difficult to photograph.

Next I took that same shrine construction process and applied it to a large bulletin board at school to celebrate the Spanish students upcoming trip to Mexico. That big piece of cardboard in the center is made from a large box that poster board arrived in. The flaming, winged heart shrine is actually three-dimensional (it stands out from the board about three inches) and is made from a beverage box.

I've been doing bulletin boards for teachers and schools since I was in high school myself and it is something I love to do! Bulletin board creation is an excellent large-scale design challenge and I enjoy finding ways to present material in an eye-catching and artistic way. Almost all the elements in my bulletin boards are handmade/hand-lettered/hand-cut which gives them a quirky but unique look. This bulletin board is currently hanging in our library/main classroom (I'm also the school's de facto librarian right now.)

This is a bulletin board I created for our recent hero-themed readathon. It was inspired by multiple hero-themed displays I found on Pinterest. A different "bat signal" went up when it was time to advertise dress-up day.

I keep all the pieces to my bulletin boards when I take them down so I have them for future years and also so I can mix & match parts to make new displays. They are difficult to store but since my school often does the same event/trip/project every year, I can save myself some time by reusing bits from previous displays. 

2 comments:

Loulou in Texas said...

I enjoy seeing what your students are doing at school, and the shrines look really detailed. Looks like you make learning fun! I don't think I'll ever tire of your yearbook portraits, though. Great post!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the fun from school! Wonderful to see all of these creations. (But I, too, don't think your yearbook portraits could ever grow old. Ha! Was there a pun there?)
-Ellie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...