Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Stormy Weather

Art-making (and life in general) is moving very slowly these days for a variety of reasons. I'm still trying to get back into the flow of work after nearly two and a half months off and I have a tremendous amount of work to do for the next semester of teaching. The weather is also contributing to my internal "dragging" feeling; we've had day after day of grey skies, high winds, and flood-threatening downpours here on the Pacific coast of California and after a while, it feels like my mind is wrapped in an irritating, itchy, and damp wool blanket. *ugh*

Unfortunately, this feeling of "slowness" is coming at a time when I actually need to do more. There is a good possibility that I'll be having another major foot surgery this coming June or July. My next show is due up on the wall in October. Since my usual summer show preparation will be supplanted by post-op recovery, I need to get the work for that show done now. These two opposing forces - the urge to move quickly versus the feeling of inertia - are battling it out in my brain. In the interest of shaking loose my momentum and inspiration, I've been painting in my journal as a precursor to on-canvas work. Typically, I never make painted studies before I commit to canvas. I often do preliminary sketches but I don't make fully-realized paintings in advance of the "final draft." However, desperate times call for desperate measures. I have a fairly solid notion of the theme of this upcoming show but the details (individual series, techniques, subjects) still need refinement. This little portrait is in my small Unexpected Convergences journal. That is also unusual for me; my show prep notes and sketches usually have their own separate notebook but here, I just wanted to get my brushes moving while I had any semblance of interest in painting.

Fallow times in the studio happen. Just as it storms without, it can storm within. For myself, I find that it's best to work as much as possible at the edges of the tempest rather than waiting for perfectly calm days. A swish of the brush here, a swipe of paint there and soon you're back in the studio and making art no matter the weather.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on pushing through - I feel like the things we do when we really really don't feel up to it count as double. Great idea to just paint where you can as you know you should, shaking things up a bit might be helpful. Speaking of which, this little racoon is adorable, but not something I would have expected from you. It's fantastic!!
-Ellie

Loulou in Texas said...

I'm glad to read that you're staying after it! I admire you for continuing to do as much as you can do and for taking the time to share your works and words with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...