Monday, February 6, 2017

Soul Stories: Seeking Serenity

Sometimes, when you review old journals (especially if enough time has passed to provide the distance a fresh perspective requires,) you discover a thread of thought running through your words, a commonality betwixt the pages you didn't see before. 

In going back through my long-standing journal, "Soul Stories," I realized that I've written a lot about my quest for quiet moments in my life. Chronic health issues and all the requisite tests, appointments, and procedures make for an anxiety-filled life. There is a lingering feeling of being constantly unsettled, of problems going unsolved, of new problems yet to be revealed. In the midst of it all, I've journaled repeatedly about the search for serenity, about how to find small islands of contentment in a sea of unknowns.

In reading past journal entries, I discovered that I haven't quite found the key to calm. My life has certainly gotten much more complex in the ten years since I started "Soul Stories" so I suppose it isn't surprising that I continue to be anxious. However, I don't think I have been giving that issue the attention it needs; worrying has become such a day-to-day habit that I just accept it as normal. This journal has reminded me to actively seek inner calm and to make much more time for relaxation.

What do your past journals have to say to you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great journal page, and I especially appreciate your thoughts about finding islands of serenity in rough waters.
-Ellie

Loulou in Texas said...

I'm still seeking those quiet, serene moments in my life, too. When I look back at my old journals I wonder how I managed to get so much done and still have time to play, and I wonder where that hopeful, youthful spirit went...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...