Monday, November 14, 2016

The Plan

So I created this Convergences journal spread before the election here in America and I'm not really inspired any more by the last line of that quote: "Trust the universe." The time is now to do more than simply sit back and trust that my country (and the world) will find its way back to sanity and humanity.

I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I can do on a practical level. Without a doubt, I will intercede if I witness acts of malice, cruelty, and/or discrimination against my friends and neighbors. I can vote my conscience and I can support humanity-oriented causes & organizations. But what else can I do - everyday - to foster grace, beauty, understanding, and love? Of course, the answer starts right at home, with me and my daily practices.

Strengthen Myself:
First and foremost, in order to be strong for others, I have to be strong myself. I've never been very good at self-care. In fact, one could say (and some of my doctors do,) that I am pretty pitiful in the self-care department. I've developed a nasty habit of pushing my schedule until I drop wherein I spend time recovering on my back, only to get up and repeat the process. The first thing I ax from my day is "me time" and that leaves me physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually exhausted. Sadly, this is the exact thing that actually advances the progression of Parkinson's Disease. The stakes couldn't be higher. I have to make some drastic changes in my day-to-day routine and priorities so I have a bit more downtime to just explore and enjoy being a person and an artist. I won't detail all my schedule tweaks here (unless they are relevant to the art-making life) but suffice to say, that part of my being is under thorough review and adjustment.

Support My Artist Friends:
I'm making some changes in my artist life as well. A common refrain in the past week is that we need to come together and support one another. A country and ultimately, the world, is stronger when people communicate. Artists, writers, humanists need to rally and beat back hatred with an alternate viewpoint that can fill the holes in people's hearts. But if we artists don't support each other, how can we begin or sustain that "coming together?" To that end, I've decided to make posting comments on the blogs of fellow artists a priority. Anybody who blogs knows what it feels like to not get feedback and what it feels like to be heard. Whether we want to admit it or not, feedback is the fuel that keeps most of us going. So I am pledging to leave a minimum of 5 comments per week on others' blog posts. That's not a lot but it's a start. I just want my artist friends to hear that I am cheering on their endeavors and that what they do matters.

Do/Teach More Art:
Part Three of my plan is directly dependent on success with Part One; I have to find/make more time to put towards being a better artist. By "better" I mean "more committed." It isn't so much about "more" as a number but "more" as a "quality." I will naturally produce more work if I devote more time to my practice but in addition, improving the depth of the work I do create will make what I am able to accomplish more meaningful. I want to push the boundaries of the projects I am currently working on. (Since I have a lot of projects already in progress, I don't think I'm apt to start many more new things...You can laugh if you want to...it's okay. I'm chuckling too after writing that last sentence.) On a related note: If you are looking for new projects to inspire positivity, I think Joyce's "Log of Love" idea is pretty grand and worth supporting.

I'm also setting my sights on returning to teaching art to adults. Eleven years ago, I decided to concentrate my teaching endeavors in the middle/high school classroom and that has been incredibly rewarding. I'd like to go back - even just a little bit - to nurturing creativity in adult students. I have to get past the holidays and another surgery in mid-December but after the first of the new year, I have plans to foster small group classes in my studio and small-scale, inexpensive classes online.

In sum, my plan to save the world is pretty simple: do what I do but do it better and smarter. Of course, the portion of the world I have the opportunity to improve is very tiny, a pinprick in a map. However, if you find ways to make your sphere of influence a happier place, our efforts will add up. That's something I can truly put my trust in...

5 comments:

Loulou in Texas said...

You've put a lot of thought into this, Michelle, and it looks like you've come up with some good plans to put into action. Yes, we each have to do our own parts to make our world a better, happier place. I'm thankful you have started making some immediate changes to care for your health needs and get some quality downtime and rest. Best wishes to you, and I look forward to reading your insightful blog posts and seeing more of your great artworks.

Sarcastra said...

These are completely reasonable and achievable actions. I'm going to try to do them, too.
Thank you for sharing your work, your thoughts and plans.

Jennifer Shelby said...

"Without a doubt, I will intercede if I witness acts of malice, cruelty, and/or discrimination against my friends and neighbors" - that's good to hear. I don't live in the U.S., but it's amazing how such a terrible tyrant winning your presidency has set the whole world on edge.

Anonymous said...

Excellent plan, Michelle. Especially taking care of yourself. As they say on the airlines, put the oxygen mask on yourself first.....you can't help and inspire others if you are suffering yourself. I especially hope you'll be able to spend some time for yourself. It's always wonderful to see your posts, but I wouldn't want to have that at the expense of time for just you. I'm also excited about the possibility of some online classes!

Be well and peace.

Ellie

Daisy Yellow said...

Super post, Michelle! I do think that small acts can have a positive influence.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...