Sunday, November 6, 2016

Reevaluating My Journal Style: Part 2

The pages in this post represent the type of journal that is currently the most inspiring and useful for me. I periodically review my personal trends and preferences in art so I can better utilize my time. My various health challenges make me very aware of the passage of time. Parkinson's Disease in particular is having an increasing impact on my technical skills and mental focus. As with most people, I want to make the most of the time I have. Interests also change over the years and I like to have a conscious awareness of what is setting my soul on fire. So you might be wondering "Am I ditching all my other journals to work in this fashion full time?" My answer is a resounding "No way!" 

While this "kitchen sink" style is what I am currently craving, each type of journal serves a unique and important purpose. Messy, grungy journals fulfill the need to play without boundaries. Journals featuring a single focal image and streams of single-spaced writing let me expound upon and examine emotions and events. Travel journals document a physical journey. Altered or handmade books with a carefully composed, artistic style serve as a bridge between the visual arts and creative writing. Sketchbooks filled with imaginative doodles and drawings are practice fields for my study of illustration. Those sketchbooks I fill with drawings from life form a portrait of the world around me. 

There are as many journal styles as there are journalers and there are no journaling commandments. "Thou shalt not keep more than one journal at a time" is not carved in stone somewhere. Neither is "Thou shalt focus on one style alone" or "Thou shalt not leave a journal unfinished." It is good to know where your attention is being diverted to on a regular basis but at the same time, remember that life is rich with variation. And so shall be our journal shelves. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the peek into your journals. It seems like the more journals you can keep, the broader the range of creativity, right?
-Ellie

Loulou in Texas said...

I find that I can almost always come away with good advice and/or great quotes from you each time I read one of your blogs. Here are two from today's post that will definitely stick with me:

"There are as many journal styles as there are journalers and there are no journaling commandments."

and

"... remember that life is rich with variation. And so shall be our journal shelves."

You ALWAYS inspire me! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...