Friday, November 11, 2016

Flood the World with Light

"Flood the World with Light"

The world is burning:
Politically,
Metaphorically,
Philosophically,
Spiritually,
Literally.
Hatred stands atop the ash heap, cackling,
Callings to its minions.
There seems so many
And they are emboldened
By the ascent of their leader.
They want to divide,
Discriminate,
Deny,
Destroy.

A constant refrain rings in my head:
What can I do?
Here I sit with above average pain
And below average income.
I have no brand,
No entourage,
No deep pockets
Or friends in high places.
In the grand scheme of things,
My voice,
My reach,
My footprint,
Is very small.
Almost invisible.
I spend time mourning,
Angry,
Afraid,
Tired.

I am still tired.
But I am rising.
I am building.
They chant for a wall.
I will give them one.
I will stand against it all:
Ignorance,
Injustice,
Hatred.
I will not yield.
I will not be afraid.
If you come for my friends,
You will have to take me as well.

I will flood my world
With light,
Laughter,
Tolerance,
Compassion,
Creativity,
Strength.
It doesn’t matter how broad a beam I cast.
The edge of my light 
Will touch the edge of yours.
Together 
We will be blinding,
Hopeful,
Powerful.
And Hatred will shrink from our brilliance
As cowardice is wont to do.

Michelle Remy
November 11, 2016

7 comments:

Snap said...

YES!

Ryegirl said...

Beautifully said Michelle!! Social media is alive with messages of strength and tolerance in the face of ugliness and I see that as a very good sign. xx

Margarite Grootjes said...

Michelle, your words truly resonate with me! Thanks for sharing them. Margarite

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Michelle! Truly a beacon and a call to constructive, creative action.
-Ellie

lulu moonwood murakami said...

BRAVO!!! As I walked with my dogs this morning, I started singing, "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine..."

Beverley Baird said...

Michelle - simply wow. Powerful words we definitely ned to hear. Reminds me of Leonard Cohen's words " there's a crack in everything to let out the light".

Joyce van der Lely said...

This is so beautiful Michelle ! Thanks for finding me, so that could find you too. Let's thread some red strings between us all, a safety net of sorts. {I started following you too and thank you for your lovely comment on my Log of Love <3 } xx J

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...