Monday, October 10, 2016

Inktober 2016 Days 3 through 7

So far I'm keeping up with this challenge but I anticipate having to quit midway through because I'm traveling to Ashland with my students the week after next and there'll hardly be time for sleeping, much less personal drawing projects. Nevertheless, I'll keep on doodling until the time crunch catches up to me. The alternate title for this piece is "Me, Before my Morning Coffee."


As I said, I'm working in an "old school" Moleskine sketchbook (before they changed their paper stock) and I'm trying to stick to black, white, grey, and the occasional pop of red. I am not following the official Inktober prompts; in general, prompts tend to freeze up my brain rather than inspiring it. That said, my very loose theme for this challenge is "Science Fiction TV and Movies." This piece is an homage to Roger Corman's cheesy B-movie, Wasp Woman (1959.) If you haven't seen this flick, trust me when I say that my version is much more sexy and appealing than the original.


Sometimes I am rendering classic movie creatures in fresh situations such as this Creature from the Black Lagoon ready for summer in his straw hat and vintage swim suit.


I am also trying my hand at a bit of caricature. For me, no retrospective on science fiction would be complete without mention of Twilight Zone creator, Rod Serling. I still watch this show on a regular basis even though I've seen some episodes dozens of times. To me, its writing and themes are timeless.


This piece is supposed to be a nod to Frank Gorshin's Riddler from the 1960s Batman television series. This did NOT turn out how I envisioned but I'm setting aside my hatred of this piece and moving forward. There really are no mistakes or failures in art; each misstep is a learning experience and I gain as much from pieces that don't work as I do from ones that are successful.


4 comments:

Beverley Baird said...

Your portraits are delightful!

Anonymous said...

Great range of characters - all so well done! The Creature from the Black Lagoon is awesome. He's set to go on vacation, 'cause even Creatures need a vacation.
-Ellie

gretchen said...

oh my gosh!! these portraits are just wonderful - i love them all!

Carin Winkelman said...

I cannot tell you how much I love these! Wonderful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...