Thursday, August 4, 2016

When a Spark Becomes a Firestorm

Although I've been quiet here at my blog, a creative fire has been raging in my studio as I continue to bring parts together for this crazy sculpture/assemblage project that has gripped my attention for the past several weeks. As usual, once I decided to trust my instincts, a small spark of an idea became a firestorm. I am gleefully buried beneath a mountain of bits and baubles: beads, charms, spools of wire, pipe fittings, springs, buttons, screws, nails, nuts, bolts, keys, game pieces, jump rings, and gears. What grand, silly fun I am having! I can now say that I spent an entire two hours of my life building a miniature ray gun. Last week, I whittled a peg leg and constructed a hook hand. I have giggled and whooped in triumph.

Interestingly, as I work on these sculptures, my normally unsteady hands do not shake. This is a phenomenon familiar to people with Parkinson's: projects & processes that require intense concentration and skillful manual dexterity often calm tremors. Dopamine, the neurotransmitter in the brain that PD patients lose (which in turn leads to lack of muscle control,) spikes during rewarding activities. I am quite literally high on art right now.

At this point, I am approximately 95% sure that my show will be comprised entirely of these three-dimensional, wall-hanging characters. I simply cannot deny my heart's desire and I have to see this project through until the embers of madness and delight begin to cool. I hope that doesn't happen any time soon as I feel like I have just begun to explore where this inferno of inspiration and joy might take me.

5 comments:

Mary Jo said...

Wow - these are awesome Michelle!

Sarcastra said...

I am excited for you and this artwork!

Anonymous said...

So happy to see these guys taking shape and life. They are absolutely joyous!
-Ellie

Jennifer Shelby said...

OoOoh! These are so exciting!!

Loulou in Texas said...

Such clever details you've put into each one! Keep that great momentum going!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...