Thursday, August 25, 2016

Sidebar Survey in Progress

I am thinking about doing more how-to/instructive posts, perhaps as just part of the regular blog or maybe as mini online classes (either here or on a separate, private blog.) This content might be delivered in the form of my usual photo/text posts and/or short, simple videos. First though, I need to know what media/technique/topics you, my dear readers, are most interested in learning about from me. So think about the kinds of thngs you've seen me do here on the blog and pop into my sidebar for the poll. You can also leave comments on this post. Remember, consider your answer in terms of what I do; for example, if you really want to know about encaustics, you'd be out of luck because that isn't a medium that I work in. Think about my interests and style (I'm not big on a lot of collage for instance but I do a lot of original drawing/painting.) I've listed a few things to choose from in the poll; you can choose more than one. If any of those things happen to be something you'd like to learn about, let me know. And again, if you want to provide a more in-depth answer (or the poll doesn't work,) leave a comment.

Other things to keep in mind:

  • Single instructional posts or a short series of posts would probably run here on the main blog. You could drop something into my tip jar if you felt motivated to do so but otherwise, free for all to see.
  • More complex/in-depth/lengthy instruction would be probably be on a separate private blog; you would send me your email and I'd send an invite back to you to join the blog. These classes would be low cost and/or by donation and you'd have lifetime access. My only firm stipulation would be that you not pin anything from that private blog/online class.
  • My video/editing skills are still in development so any videos would probably be in a "watch me work/listen to me talk" style. You'd have to be OK with that. I have a decent camera and a tripod but I don't have the brain power/computer program/time/energy right now to whip super-duper uber professional videos...

Nothing is set in stone right now. In fact, I haven't even gotten the chisel out of the toolbox yet. For now, I just need to get a sense of what you all come here to see and learn about. Baby stepping toward online teaching...

EDIT: Thank you to everyone who took the time to vote! In the end, most people wanted more information/instruction about art journaling followed closely by watercolor and drawing from imagination. This gives me a place to start when developing blog/teaching content which I hope will arrive in this space early 2017 (I've got to get through this first insane semester at work. After January, my student load will drop by half and I'll have much more free time for my own stuff.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of some online classes! In addition to drawing (I really like your style, especially your imaginative drawings), seeing how you develop and create your 3D work would be great.
-Ellie

Loulou in Texas said...

Great ideas! I look forward to seeing what you end up with!

vickienipp said...

i love everything you do and would appreciate anything you can teach me, i have a journal i would like to do more in, and i did more drawing than listening in art class so i cant draw a lick so im ready for class number one. Thanks is advance

Anonymous said...

I would love to have a "how-to" for assemblages. I can do most of it but unsure how to make the faces. I REALLY like your whimsical "people". Susan on the north coast, too!

DianeH said...

I love looking at all of the things you work on. Seeing videos of your creative process would be wonderful. I would love to see how you draw and create your critters and people.

Also, several months ago you did a series of posts on how you organize your time. I would love to see more on this topic. You have a lot of irons in the fire and it would be great to learn more on how you keep them all going.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...