Saturday, July 2, 2016

Figmenta Begins...Sort Of...

Every show I do has a "lead" painting, a piece that is hung front and center in the show along with the show sign. Usually the lead painting is the first canvas I create at the beginning of show production, the piece that I love best, the piece that best represents the theme and spirit of the show, and the canvas that inspires & informs a bunch of follow-up work. Approximately two weeks ago, I completed the first piece destined for the Figmenta show in October based on the sketch you see here. As a part of show prep, I've been doodling painting ideas for several weeks and this was the piece I decided to begin with when the school year ended. Sometimes I create more detailed sketches of individual parts of a painting but often, I work off of these very vague blueprints so a certain amount of serendipity remains while I'm working.


Contrary to my personal traditions, this will not be the lead painting for Figmenta. This painting has been "under review" for a while now and I'm still unsure whether or not I even like this canvas. Since I completed this piece, my idea for the show has shifted and this canvas doesn't really "fit" now. Currently, I don't really have any desire to turn this into a series. These things happen. I like to have the theme/technique completely ironed out before I start painting but sometimes, new ideas start to flow once I'm engaged in the process. Figmenta is also very different from previous shows so I'm venturing into unknown territory; backtracking and unexpected route changes are inevitable. That said, I hate to waste canvas and I don't dislike this piece so much that I want to paint over it. In time, I may even fall in love with this big blue kitty. For now, I am going to pursue my other ideas and hope to come back to this one. As long as I can create a couple of other pieces that echo this, it will probably end up on the wall.

At this time, this canvas is untitled; I like to name everything right before the show when I am creating the labels and price list. It is painted with acrylics on a 15x30-inch stretched canvas with a 1-1/2-inch deep cradle.

6 comments:

Leone said...

LOVE THIS. LOVE THE EXPRESSION ON THE KITTIES FACE AND THE BABY BIRD HITCHING A RIDE ON MOM'S BACK. I HOPE YOU DON'T PAINT OVER IT.

Emie58 said...

Idea for a title.... "Hitchin' a Ride"... VBG I like the fun colors an I also love the theme.

Jennifer Shelby said...

if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit, but for the record I LOVE this big blue kitty

Anonymous said...

Count me in on the Love This Painting group! Maybe over the summer it will find it's place, or maybe it's just meant to be on its own.
-Ellie

Loulou in Texas said...

One of the things I really like about your paintings is that I just keep seeing more and more details in them the longer I look. I like how you've created the doodles on the birds and how the trees and houses are on the horizon in the background. Like you, that cat seems to be venturing off into some unknown territory, too.

gretchen said...

i'm all about the baseball cap ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...