Friday, June 3, 2016

Stardust and Drumbeats

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Just seven more teaching days of school left! I'll get about a week off and then I have a retreat to attend as our staff begins summer break with a huge planning session for next year. That way, we have the entire summer to prepare for new classes, students, jobs, and events. In the fall, I'll be returning to art teaching and related tasks exclusively; I've been working as a special education aide since last October in addition to my regular schedule and while my heart wishes to continue, my brain and body say "NO!" resoundingly. It was not an easy decision (I'm terrible at saying "no" to things) but in the end, I realized it was critical to attend to my health needs and for once, I opted to put myself first. 

I'm still working along in a wide swath of projects as the school days slip past. These two pages are in what I'm calling the "Small Unexpected Convergences" journal. If you missed the large "Unexpected Convergences" journal, this link will wisk you away to the Flickr album of that journal in its entirety. In addition, I'm plodding along in show prep. I've hit the usual "Nobody is going to like this" phase of the project which, truth be told, is a phase that comes and goes right up to "premiere night" the second Friday in October. It is mental quicksand courtesy of my inner critic which can mire an idea in the doldrums if I'm not careful. Honestly, as if I was avoiding the wrath of some sort of large, deadly predator, I try not to look that critic in the eye, keep my head down, and just do the work. I concentrate on that inner drumbeat instead and purposefully march forward, even it is only one small step at a time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great that the end of the school year is so near! Your image of ignoring the inner critic by not looking the predator in the eye is fantastic - I'll have to keep that in mind. "Not looking, not looking...." (:
-Ellie

Kathy said...

Well done listening to yourself! Very difficult to do as a caring teacher but so important to your health, especially that creative well you must keep dipping in to as your teach and inspire student in the arts.

Sarcastra said...

I like that bit to honor the stardust within. It reminds me of the saying, "be humble, for you are made of dirt; be noble for you are made of stars.

Loulou in Texas said...

Love the "Unexpected Convergences" journal. You've made so many wonderful pages.
Keep up the good work and keep concentrating on that inner drumbeat!

Kerry Molina said...

Just discovered you. Are you not on Facebook?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...