Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Fresh but Familiar

This is another page in my "messin' around" journal, a large mixed media sketchbook that I'm using as a playground for show prep experimentation. Once I'm reasonably sure about what I'll be painting, I need to work out how I'll be painting. I try to change things up for each show, altering my technique here and there so my work for each collection looks fresh but also familiar. This year, among other things, I'm working on adding more texture to my work. I'm also aiming for a wider value range in each piece.  There's still a lot of things up in the air for me so I need to buckle down in the next two weeks (when I'm not teaching or recovering from teaching) and make some firm decisions about process and imagery. Some of this show prep is very deliberate and thought out; a lot, however, is in the realm of serendipity and happenstance. Some things I plan and others I stumble upon. For me, the best shows reflect a nice balance of both. 

5 comments:

Özge Başağaç said...

Hello Michelle. I just wanted to say i am following the prep into the show very excitedly. I am enjoying each post :) By the way, are you doing icad this year? Have a great week...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your process as you prep for your show. It's very cool to get to know how you plan what you'll be painting! And I really like your "fresh but familiar" Those colors are fantastic (and of course the quirky bird is great) - with depth and texture!
-Ellie

Loulou in Texas said...

This has got to be one of my favorites, Michelle. I agree with everything Ellie says -- the colors are fantastic, complete with depth and texture, and the quirky little bird has captured my heart!

Nancy Ball said...

Love this bird and the colours.

molly said...

Love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...