Sunday, May 15, 2016

Flirting with the Light

My pre-show explorations continue. For my next show, I'd like to do more painting with tools other than a brush, add an assemblage "show-within-a-show" (more on that eventually,) and I'd like lighten up my work. I use a lot of color but many of my pieces consistently lean toward darker values. I always thought that the monster theme was best served by a dark palette (it felt natural) but I've been wondering whether or not that is actually true. So, before show work starts in earnest, I'm playing with more white. As I experiment, I realize how little white I actually use in my work; I'm even a bit uncomfortable which just might mean I'm on the right track. This is another "messin' around" page in a large Canson mixed media, spiral-bound journal. I like how it turned out so I think it's time to get brave and if a monster can emerge surrounded by light as easily as it does from the dark.

3 comments:

molly said...

This makes me feel warm and happy!Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer Shelby said...

"I'm even a bit uncomfortable which just might mean I'm on the right track" - love this attitude towards your work!

Loulou in Texas said...

Love the colors and the mark-making!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...