Tuesday, April 5, 2016

The Cats Come Back the Very Next Day

Hold on to your hats folks and grab the water hoses! I'm about to set your inbox on fire with a second blog post in the same week! *gasp* I just wanted to pop in and clarify a bit about my cat drawing project. It is titled "52 Weeks of Cats" and it is NOT a 365-project (or in this case, a 52-weeks-straight project.) My goal is to spend 52 weeks total drawing cats. It will definitely not happen within the space of a single year but probably two. My only rule is that when I begin working on a two-page spread (there are 52 spreads in my sketchbook,) I must finish that spread within 7 days time. I might draw 15 cats or only two (one per page.) Any media, technique or style is fair game. I make notes along the way about what works and what flops.

I am experimenting with many, many ways to illustrate cats and a lot of my doodles begin with a random watercolor blob or crazy scribble. Hence, the oddball shapes and decidedly uncatlike creatures. (The large colored cat in this page began as a sketch with my non-dominant hand.) As with almost everything I do, I begin with play - lots of it - and wait to see if something cool or useful develops out of my playtime.

4 comments:

carol said...

I'm love'n the cats and I don't even love cats!

molly said...

Thank you.

Loulou in Texas said...

I like the self-imposed rules you've chosen for your cat project. Seems like I'm always setting myself up for failure when I decide I'm going to follow someone else's 365 project or 52-weeks project. I need to give myself permission to make my own rules like you have!

It will be interesting to see how your little cats evolve over time. You're off to a great start!

jane eileen said...

Loving all these cats and the reference to the song, which I used to sing with my grandwonderfuls when they learned it on Jack's big Music Show! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...