Monday, April 4, 2016

Hanging in There

You know those motivational posters from the 80s featuring a terrified kitten clinging desperately to a tree branch by its front claws, the words "Hang in there, baby!" emblazoned across the bottom of the poster? Yeah...that's me. Four Three days of work now stand between me and an amazing ten days off. After that, it's nine (long and unbroken) weeks until summer vacation. I am counting every single second. I need this summer in the worst way. I still haven't decided on whether or not to postpone another needed foot surgery for one more year but even if I have surgery, I know I'll relish the opportunity to sit around for days on end, doing absolutely nothing. The very thought gives me chills of delight.

I am behind on everything: homework, housework, art, appointments, emails, errands, blogging, breathing. I feel like I am in a constant state of breathlessness as I whirl from teaching day to teaching day. When I'm off, a different type of busy rules as I try (usually fruitlessly) to get caught up on household stuff that I only stare at on days I'm teaching. Here and there, I squeeze in a bit of art but it is disjointed and unfocused as my mind is always elsewhere. The photos in this post are from a project I've been working on quietly since the beginning of the year, a journal strictly for practicing the drawing of cats. I started off like wildfire and then, as I was required to burn brightly in other capacities, this sketchbook was placed on the back burner. It is a fun project and I'm getting much more comfortable illustrating cats (which is the point.)

4 comments:

Ami said...

It's good to still see you in the blogosphere! And even practicing my favorite--cats. Definitely the more triangular cat faces work better than the wider ones. Although, those would be pretty cute jowly dogs!

Clare said...

I found your blog a few posts ago . . . so glad you decided to keep posting. I always say I need 8 more hours in every day. I seem to be in this same state of breathlessness quite often and the things I tend to not do are the things I really want to do and are good for me. (I'm working on that.) I also have summers off . . . and I am already starting to look forward to those summer days. Hang in there! Love the cats!

Özge Başağaç said...

Funny with the cat face proportions.But not all cats are created equal. My cat is a Persian and his face is almost square, not a triangle in sight :) Loved the cats, have a nice week Michelle...

Loulou in Texas said...

Cute cats! What a great project you've chosen -- a whole journal full of cats!
I especially like the different eyes and the way you're shading with the different colors.
Thanks for sharing your new project with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...