Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Still Here (and Some Shakespeare)

Dearest Readers,

I'm checking in to let you know that I've decided to continue blogging. Thank you to everyone for your sweet, encouraging comments and good vibes (I felt them! I really did!) I concluded that my biggest barrier to blogging isn't a lack of interest, ideas, comments or follows but rather a critical lack of energy, time, and decent health. Work took a strange turn late last year when I became a one-on-one aide to a 7 year-old special needs child in addition to everything else I am already doing at the school. It has been a heart-warming task but mostly heart-breaking and it is taking every ounce of willpower I have to keep going. I'm locked in to this assignment until mid-June so I am just taking it moment by moment.

Because life isn't complicated enough, this week, a bad tooth that has been lurking in my head for over a year, finally decided to make my life truly miserable by creating a throbbing, golf ball-sized lump on my chin. There is no local care for adults with dental issues and insurance via the state; all are referred to clinics out of the area and where I live that means 200 mile round trips (at least) and outrageous appointment wait times. Want to pay cash? Well, that's an option...provided you have the cash. Having this tooth fixed by an oral surgeon (which is required since the problem is below the gum line) would cost a minimum of $3000; it's $725 to have it pulled (under sedation.) Let me take a moment to stifle a rant regarding health treatment for the poor and medical highway robbery...*ahem*...OK...I'm good....

Long story short: I will be trying to get some work photographed and posted for sale in the coming days. The posting will be available on an "Opt In" basis; in other words, it will be on a separate page at Lost Coast Post, not here on the main page. As I have said, I like to keep this space relatively free of relentless product-promotion even if I would like to or need to make a bit more money from my work. Thus, things like online classes (if I ever get there...that's the goal) and art for sale will always be announced here but kept on a separate part of the blog; if you're interested, click on through. If not, just move onward.

Again...I was so touched by all of your comments...so wise, so supportive...Thank you to those who have left a little something in my tip jar. Thank you to those who simply make time in their busy lives to read Lost Coast Post quietly but faithfully. I have a few new posting ideas and work to share but things are a bit on hold while I sort out immediate concerns. I'm going to stick with my once-per-week blogging schedule while school is in session but right now, I don't think I can even tell you what day that might be. Thank you again for being here, rain or shine, good days or bad.  It means the world.


PS...The Shakespeare portraits by my fabulous art students have nothing whatsoever to do with this post except that I wanted you guys to see their whimsical wonderfulness. I do this caricature project every year in conjunction with the students' study and performance of a Shakespeare play and the resulting work always makes me smile! 

3 comments:

Jennifer Shelby said...

Hooray! So glad the Lost Coast Post has more adventures to come, we would have missed you! Sorry to hear about your tooth, hope that works out for you soon. Have you ever heard of Special Books by Special Kids? It's a guy, on facebook (maybe elsewhere, that's where I know him) that works with special needs kids. He always posts the most encouraging, uplifting videos and interviews with his kids. You should check it out, maybe you'll find a new friend. Here is a link to the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/specialbooksbyspecialkids/?fref=ts

gretchen said...

Yay! I'm so glad you're going to continue with this blog - We'd miss you if you didn't. And I heard every word of that silent rant ;-)...

Loulou in Texas said...

These Shakespeare caricatures by your students are fabulous! You must be giving them really good instructions and ideas for them to come up with these.

Glad you've decided to continue blogging! Best wishes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...