Wednesday, January 27, 2016

I Am My Own Sanctuary

After its creation, this Tribe page proved the hardest to decipher and yet the most significant. This is the arrow my subconscious put in my path to point me in the right direction. It has been a while since I created this page (first week in December) but I do remember being compelled to write "I am my own sanctuary" over and over before I began work on the tree woman. That sentence ultimately became the anchoring principle of the page.

At the same time, I was struggling with the name for this journal. The word "tribe" had emerged immediately - before the paint on the first page was even dry - but I had no idea why that word had surfaced. I shoved it aside half a dozen times but I hadn't been able to come up with a suitable replacement title. "Tribe" just felt right. I thought maybe my brain meant something along the lines of that cliché "Find your tribe." It wasn't until I had completed the next page - one I'll show in some detail next week - that I understood I was meant to embrace and nurture the tribe inside me.

Note: The whites in this photo are a bit blown out, a factor of over-correcting the color in Photoshop. However, I notice that this gives the impression that the little nest in the tree's arms is glowing, reflecting onto her face...so...unintentional but sort of cool.

5 comments:

Emie58 said...

Most Excellent! Looking forward to next weeks and the page that followed this one. And yes indeed... her face is glowing!

gretchen said...

awesome! i love what i have seen of this journal so far - can't wait to see more! your tribe serves you well...

Kris said...

I quite like this one. I love how serene the nest and bird feel compared to the rest of the scene.

Aimeslee said...

Enjoying your journal pages, Michelle. Wondering how you are getting on...and what did the doctor say? xoxo

Özge Başağaç said...

I believe in the future when you turn back to the very beginning of this new adventure, this page will be a milestone. Somehow i have connected with this page much more than the others. The more i look the more it touches me.Is it sorrow, is it hope, is it joy, excitement, courage or all of it? It had really hit me hard, in a very good way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...