Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Dance of the Calaveras

The biggest decision on my docket this morning is what color scarf a little sculpted rabbit requires to stay warm this wet and blustery day. *sigh* (I could get used to this.) Anyway, I'm finding it hard to surface to get real world stuff done like laundry, dishes, and lesson plans. Since tailoring for small creatures is so taxing, I'll keep this post short on words and long on pictures. 
I thought I'd show you a sampling of my students' work from our last project in Art One (upper middle/high school level.) In September, we created cardboard relief sugar skulls inspired by Day of the Dead imagery. In October, we discussed Mexican printmaker José Posada, who originated the calavera image. Posada used calaveras (skeletons dressed up in fancy finery) in political cartoons to comment on the excesses of the rich and the government in the face of the overwhelming poverty that marked Mexico during the era of dictator Porfirio Díaz. Today, calaveras are a popular everyday image in the Americas but they are particularly prevalent during Day of the Dead celebrations.
Students designed a calavera character, transferred that design to a 4x6-inch block of Speedball pink carving material, carved, and printed. They were required to submit at least two prints, one white ink on black paper and the other, black ink on white paper. The process took several weeks but the results are delightful as I'm sure you'll agree. I am so lucky to have such wonderfully creative and dedicated students. I love how each piece really reflects the taste, style, and personality of the individual student.

1 comments:

Leone said...

What a great teacher you are!! Can I join your class. HA HA

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...