Sunday, October 11, 2015

Landscape Painting in Miniature

As a kid, I spent a month every summer with my grandparents in Grass Valley, California and those visits always included lunch with one of my grandmother's friends who specialized in miniature-making. She filled glass-fronted boxes with ornately detailed scenes: a market, an ice cream shop, a toy store. She made every little piece by hand with clay, fabric, and paper. I remember those magical boxes as if it were yesterday, my nose smooshed to the glass trying to absorb every detail and wondering at how someone could create such tiny representations of real-life things. So, when I first heard about Daisy Yellow's class Tiny Museum, I was immediately smitten with the idea. Miniatures still make me squeal involuntarily and I regularly buy little objects simply because they make me smile. 


After I completed my first page inspired by Tiny Museum, I decided that, while I liked the abstract miniatures a lot, the thought of pages filled with tiny representational images made my heart flutter. In that initial page, I created a monochromatic, impressionistic landscape featuring a lone tree and that small image sparked this subsequent page: 22 wee scenes of land, sea, sky, and civilization. (As a frame of reference...the sailboat seen above is just one-inch square.) Can you imagine these in diminutive wooden frames, perhaps adorning the walls of fairy homes? What about a literal "tiny museum," its walls filled with Lilliputian landscapes and portraits....swoon! That thread of thinking now has me working on a page of little portraits. I think my Tiny Museum explorations are just beginning...

9 comments:

Snap said...

Marvelous!

Daisy Yellow said...

Wow! Fantastic! I love your interpretation of the tiny museum, your perspective is always intriguing.

Emie58 said...

Fantastic.... and a bit dreamy too!

Anonymous said...

Love your version of the Tiny Museum and your fantastic art!
-Ellie

Stacey Vadaj said...

these are wonderful. thanks for sharing them.

Leone said...

I absolutely LOVE these. Great idea!!!

MaryB8 said...

Amazing!

Katie Waller said...

I love your mini art! Somehow I missed your wonderful tiny trees and landscape on the Facebook page. I'm so glad that Tammy posted your work on her web page!

Diana Trout {Nan.DT@verizon.net} said...

These are just wonderful. I looked for a very long time. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...