Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Joan's Sweet Peas

Last week, a friend gave me a small bunch of sweet peas and I immediately grabbed my watercolors and sketchbook to document the bouquet.

I always place what I am drawing on a white sheet of paper so I get the clearest idea of colors and shadows. For larger objects, I also place a white board behind the object. Here's what my setup looked like...

Sweet peas are crazy hard to draw so I decided to take an impressionistic approach, beginning with a light wash of paint to define the area. (I actually like this stage of the painting all by itself!)

I added some pen work to more sharply define my subject. Then it was just a matter of pushing in the darks a little bit at a time while preserving the light areas. I gradually built up color intensity by laying down a wash of color, letting it dry and repeating...over and over again.

Finally, I added a title. Presto! Sketchbook page complete! An evening well spent...

4 comments:

Kris said...

Very pretty.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your floral watercolor!! I hope to do as well someday...
TFS
Grandma Nancy in central IL

gretchen said...

you are right... an evening well spent ;-)

Dorlene Durham said...

beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...