Monday, June 29, 2015

Snippets: Weeks 25 and 26

As I was working in this spread, I had a very clear epiphany about my future in journaling. After I complete my Snippets journal at the end of the year, I will not begin any new journal projects that feature collage as the primary medium. In general, I just don't feel that collage of images outside of my own hand speak best for me and this past week, that realization settled into me like a comforting cup of cocoa. I'm ready to move into focusing on sketchbook-style journaling (urban sketching/nature journals/illustrative journals...whatever you wish to call them) with my whole heart. I realized that I'm still collaging because I'm afraid to fully commit to the world as I see and can render it. More importantly, I need to move forward because my drawing abilities have an expiration date, a point in time unknown to me but there nonetheless. Eventually, Parkinson's is going to steal away my steady right hand; even now, my left side sometimes shakes so hard, it makes my motor control on my unaffected side complete trash. No matter how artfully I arrange a sticker, vintage photo, and a scrap of paper, it just doesn't interest me anymore. I feel a deep pull to go in a fresh direction.

The urge to draw became so strong this past week, I actually set this journal aside for a couple of days just to spend time in my sketchbooks. I was sick of gluing and craved the scritch-scratch of pen and pencil. There is simplicity, power, and purity in drawing what I see, no matter how imperfect the results. I'll keep working on projects currently in process, collage-based or not, but Snippets will be my last hurrah as far as collage is concerned. (I felt so relieved when I typed those words just now...sigh...)

I also want to note that the wonderful little girl leaping through the June 16th entry is by the one and only Mary Blair. I have a reproduction copy of the Little Golden Book she illustrated titled Fly and I just had to pair the cover image with that incredible poem "Wild Child" by Lauri Rose. I added the tiny heart sticker to Mary's illustration but beyond that, left it as it was. I thought those two works of art were destined to go together.

5 comments:

Emie58 said...

I guess it's hard sometimes to let go of something you've done for a long while (collage) and to change to a different process (drawing). Follow you're muse where it takes you... it's all good when the muse talks to us! And.. as you mentioned in your precious post... the more you work with your fine motor skills now, the longer they'll stay with you. I like your attitude... ONWARD!!!! Thanks for sharing your adventures.

carol said...

Yay! I have loved your WC art journaling posts the best!

Leone said...

I too long to sketch. I carry my sketchbook out with me but I usually carry it home empty. I have a real block there. I look forward to seeing your sketches but I'm enjoying your little collages.

Stacey Vadaj said...

you should do what you like to do. i love the minuets so will miss them.

Michelle Reuss-Remy said...

Hi Stacey! I think I should have clarified that I'm just done with using pre-purchased images like stickers and ready-made collage stuff. The Minuets project is still ongoing because those are created from "generic" bits of paper and are original images once completed. I enjoy creating my own images from collage; I just hate simply gluing stuff down without much alteration. So don't despair! Minuets will continue!
Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...