Monday, May 11, 2015

Minuet No. 11 & Thoughts on Blogging

Happy Monday! I'm battling my way back to everyday life after a run-in with a nasty flu bug that landed me in the emergency room...ugh. I haven't been upright, much less making art so today I'm posting another piece from my Minuet series. I love this one and I am starting to see a trend in my favorites: full abstract is out, fairy-tale/storybook is in. That actually fits in quite nicely with my expanding exploration of illustration.

Confession time: I stopped posting much of my cartooning/illustration work because the blog stats seem to show that most people come here for my journaling and paper art work. Posts with drawing, doodles, and all manner of art oddities are practically skipped all together. (And I'm talking about extreme shifts in the number of views from one kind of post to the other.)

I'm a bit torn about that as in truth, my journaling (as I had practiced it for years) is slowly giving way to more drawing, painting, sculpture, and illustration. I think that in a year or so, collage (as a primary technique in a project) will be largely part of my artistic past. My diagnosis of Young Onset Parkinson's Disease is a huge motivating factor. Simply put, I want to push my fine motor skills to the limit while I am still blessed with a steady hand.

Originally, I thought that two separate blogs (one for journaling, one for illustration) would be best but that was an awful lot of work and I didn't exactly feel genuine in either space. So a while back, I made the decision to merge the two blogs and hope that people would stick with me in my journey. Readership and comments plummeted and not sure what to make of that, I went back to posting just my more "mainstream" work. I never stopped doing it and then began again for the sake of the blog; I just was doing much less and wanted to transition into posting about what I've been doing a lot.

I still believe that to be the most authentic I can be in this space, the focus of the blog needs to shift as I do. It just gets really, really scary when I post stuff I love and only crickets greet my efforts. I know the world of blogging has changed from when I first began in 2006. I feel like I'm one of the few bloggers who still uses the blog format for more writing than pictures. (I do try, dear readers, to vary the length of my posts but anyone who's ever known me will tell you I've always been verbose. What can I say? I love words and I love putting my thoughts into tangible form.) I'm sure my wordiness is difficult to deal with in this age of tiny, handheld screens. I also know that those phone-sized keyboards and blog reader programs make commenting difficult. I guess, ultimately, I'll just stop looking at the statistics and the comment counts and just post my heart's desire. I know that will be the only way I'll be able to continue coming here for another nine years.

10 comments:

Leone said...

I have been checking in on your blog daily for quite a few months now and I don't think I have ever commented before. I love reading your blog and seeing what you are doing - all of it but my favoures are the minuets. I agree with you that you should post what you are dong and ignore the number of comments because not everyone comments (like me). I know that isn't very satifying and you probably feel like you are doing it for nothing but I think it's most important to do it from your heart. I will comment more often, just so you know I am here and enjoying your blog very much. It is so much fun to see the diversity of what you do. Hope you feel better soon.

gypsy said...

M - You can post anything you do and I'll keep reading! I have often had the same quandary, but I just post it all and try to keep some balance. One of my readers actually asked if I was finished with acrylics. I just work in a bit of everything! It's actually good to see various aspects of your work, to see how it all comes together. Like I am curious about how your robots and line work impacts or informs your collage or paintings, etc. Anyhow, the point is that it's all good.

Claire said...

I too have been reading your blog for a while... and haven't posted a comment. I love your writing and art - don't change! Even though I may not comment - I do want you to know that I'm here reading about your adventures. Maybe it's time for me to be more outgoing and start posting more comments! :)

Jennifer Shelby said...

I wonder if the blog stats are smaller because people tend to 'google' journaling as opposed to illustration and cartoons. I'm always here too, so crickets might just mean my toddler's being cranky and I only have a moment or maybe my internet connection is just being silly that day (rural internet is like that). I've actually been missing your illustrations lately, though your collages are nice too. I love your monsters!

Elizabeth Cooper said...

Oh, please continue to show off all your lovely work! I rarely have time to comment, but I read and gawk at all your lovely posts. I enjoy all your art, but your illustrations are my favorite. I hope you continue to post about all the lovely artsy things you do - not just the ones that get a lot of comments. But I do understand that blogging is a lot of work, and you have to feel like it's worth your while.

Janet said...

Hi! I too rarely comment bc of time constraints, travel and kids, but I love all the work you do - the whole variety!!! From illustrations and robots - which I forward to my sons - to the journals etc. Post what you want - it's YOUR BLOG.

Özge Başağaç said...

Hello Michelle. I am a regular blog reader of yours. Maybe i am old fashioned but i do not subscribe to blogs, i prefer to visit some of them daily, and some of them weekly. I like the excitement of waiting for blog posts.Because i know myself, if i see it in a loong e-mail notification, it does not have the same impact. I really like posts with text, instead of image only posts. I think images are consumed so fast. Sure, talking about art, images go a long way. But they are just a tool, just like the text itself is, in representing your art. I love whatever you post here. They all represent your uniqueness. I do not think you should frame yourself. For me, my blog is like a documentation of my experiments in art and life in general. I give myself the permission to be free, play, fail and succeed there. I see your blog the same. So it is only natural that as long as you are changing, the focus of the blog will shift, too. Post as you like, as frequently/ sparely as you like. I think this is your authenticity.

Diane Hock said...

Michelle, I love your blog, and what I like best about it is that it reflects who you are and what you are doing, whether that's collage or drawing or musing about life. I am a word person as well so I'm happy to read what you have to say. Personally, I think that being yourself and showing and writing about what interests you is the way to blog...how hard it would be if you worried about aiming at readers! So keep doing what feels good to you and I'll keep following along!

Kris said...

Michelle, it isn't possible to please all of the people all of the time. Post what is true for you and you will at least make yourself happy.

Anonymous said...

I am an avid reader -- but also a silent one of yours, Michelle. It is really, really, really inspiring to see ALL of your artwork, not just your "mainstream" ones. Blogs with only photos are uninteresting. It is difficult to read a blog that doesn't have any of the passion that Lost Coast Post has, and I love reading about your thought processes. It is your blog, and I hope that you won't adjust your posting to how some people like it. I like your posts a lot, be it a collage, drawing, doodle, or just some new way of organization. Post at your heart's desire -- and I'll still read it. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...