Sunday, January 18, 2015

Presto Change-O!

File the following under "Why didn't I think of this before??" and "How fun is this?!"

This may look like an ordinary sheet of serendipity paper...interesting and useful all on its own. However, I realized that I could create my very own hand-painted stickers by embellishing a blank sheet of computer labels. 

Paint, stencil, stamp, doodle in whatever order and color scheme that tickles your fancy...repeat until you are happy with what you see. I learned after my first sheet that I needed to work in quadrants so I wouldn't end up with a bunch of stickers that looked the same. If you want to further extend the variety of results, work in even smaller sections, doing something different in each section. Try not to think about where the stickers are on the paper...no planning here, just random play.

Let the sticker paper dry completely and peel back the excess very carefully (sometimes the stickers don't want to separate from the surrounding paper because of all the painty layers.) Be patient and go slow and steady...

Presto change-o! Zippity zap! Now you have a unique set of stickers to use in your journal work or wherever you need a little spot of serendipity joy. I've seen pretty printed art stickers for sale on Etsy but I wanted something that would be all mine. This is my solution.

8 comments:

Jessica Loughrey said...

Very cool! I've done this too, with some of the smaller label stickers and alphabet stickers. I also recently gelli printed on some larger postal labels.

thepathunfolding said...

I've used those ubiquitous address label stickers that come in nearly every fundraising letter, with a layer of gesso on first. I love your art, and I'm excited to see some work with these included!

Jenn said...

so beautiful!

carol said...

great idea!

gretchen said...

nice! you're sure to enjoy using those :).

Rita Montgomery said...

I've been doing this for awhile now. I don't pull off the excess though. I save it and use it as well. Try using a full sheet sticker, 8.5 " by 11". Cut into strips for unique washi effects.

Carin Winkelman said...

Brilliant! I had no idea they made sticker circle sheets. It looks like a lot of fun.

Kris said...

What a cute idea! Wouldn't these be cute to use use as envelope seals on happy mail?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...