Tuesday, June 10, 2014

We Interrupt this Regularly Scheduled Sabbatical...

Hello there dear readers...

An long overdue update is coming...probably this coming Thursday when I have a moment to gather my thoughts and shoot some pictures.  Although this space has been quiet, I was proceeding along behind the scenes, making art with renewed vigor as the school year drew to a close.  This space was silent because my days were full.  And then, in the space of a 20-minute doctor's visit, my entire summer has spun in an unexpected and unwanted direction.

At first, I was devastated.  In about a month, I'm going under the surgeon's knife for the 11th time (my 9th surgery in 13 years.)  Rehab will be a bitch...there's no sugarcoating that fact.  My ability to walk normally (or at least pain-free) for the rest of my life is on the line.  And yet, after the initial despair and frustration, a quiet feeling of determination bloomed in my heart like a flower that senses the barest glimmer of sunrise and opens to catch the warmth.  I squared my shoulders and began again.  10 surgeries have provided plenty of practice in logistical planning.  I am rallying a support team and - most importantly - I am in the studio, surrounded by stacks of pretty papers and baskets brimming with paint tubes.  Inevitably, life foils best laid plans.  We are compelled to make new plans and then we go on.  That is all any of us can do.  It is what I will do.

More details forthcoming as well as glimpses of my recent work...if you are still there, I am grateful.  I hope all of your days have been filled with art and joy...

2 comments:

Gloria Westerman said...

Please dont despair!!! As I'm writhing with only my left hand..I know your concerns and fears...I've had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand and in a month on my left hand...it's hard to just get thru the days without my right hand...literally...LOL I know this isn't any comparison with your up coming procedure...but the best I can recommend is to have the daily essential...conquered those, and your home free... then start adding more and more...probably in your case a very good chair..I wish you the best and will pray for a speedy recovery....hugs gloria

Janet said...

Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery! I so enjoy your blog posts, break or not. I hope this helps you live a more pain free life. You deserve it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...