Monday, February 24, 2014

Notes from My Sabbatical: Week 1

"Rekindling Begins"

So here begins my documentation of my "sabbatical," a break I'm taking to rekindle my passion, inspiration, energy, and focus.  I'm largely concentrating on my artistic life but I think that I'll benefit across the board by taking a little time and space to reevaluate where I'm at, where I want to go, and how I might get there.

This week, I got caught up on my notes for the "Year of the Fairy Tale" class and actually started working on the assignments.  Whoo hoo!  It felt so good to do art again just for me.  I also spent this first week doing a little bit of studio reorganizing.  I don't want to get too invested in this task so I'm only allowing myself about 15 minutes worth of digging, shuffling, filing, and cleaning a day.

What I need desperately is a reorganization (perhaps even a revolution) of how I spend my time.  Teaching, prepping for teaching, coping with health issues, household chores & maintenance, cooking, parenting, chauffeuring:  all these things and more still need to be done so I am working on making better use of my time.  I am very prone to losing my way when everyday life gets messy and busy.  Too often, art and self-care get shoved to the backburner and it has been to my detriment.  Ah well!  These are the sorts of things I hope to figure out in the coming months as I take a long, hard, deliberate look at the current state of affairs.  Right now, I only know that things have to change.  The "how" part of the equation will reveal itself as I go along.

2 comments:

  1. I'm highlighting your post in today's link-love post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your idea of a sabbatical. Right now I am feeling the need to step back and really focus on what I want to do and accomplish. Your last few posts have inspired me. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...