Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Skeletal Frida & A Quote Skirt

Well, for me, summer break is just about over.  I found out yesterday that, yes, I will be teaching art again this fall (always have to wait until budgets are finalized).  The first two months, I'll be helping the kids make a Shakespearean-themed journal to complement their study and performance of two plays: A Midsummer's Night's Dream and Macbeth.  After that, classes are up to me and I think I'll be repeating my cartooning class as well as the softie design & construction course.  I also have my biggest art show of the year coming up in October so the crazy busy time of year has officially begun.

This is when it becomes very tricky to squeeze in art just for me.  Working while managing chronic illness is a huge balancing act and many times, I have to set aside what I want to do for what I have to do, whether it is prepping for classes or scheduling self-care time so I don't crash & burn.  I'm not very good at the latter but with the addition of the Parkinson's diagnosis, it is especially critical that I make time to reduce stress.  Sometimes that means playing in my journals but that might also mean just sitting on the couch in front of the TV or reading a good book.  Last year, I worked one day and then spent four days in the hospital so things can only go up from there!  As always, I am looking forward to getting back to the classroom and soaking up the creative enthusiasm that young art students seem to give off in buckets!

4 comments:

Connie Rose said...

Be well, Michelle. xo

lulu moonwood murakami said...

Hi Michelle, I love the skeletal Frida, and your journaling style in general. I'm glad you'll be with the students and soaking up their energy! Your program sounds great: making journal, cartooning, making softies - wow!

May your days be stress free and your heart happy!

SAMARA said...

Oh Michelle, I am so sorry to hear that you have Parkinson's. I know (grandparent's) how difficult this can be...be well dear one. How delightful that you got your art class!!!! And yes, I hear the difficulty of doing your own art with having a class...it is "when hobby becomes job" Your Frida is lovely! Fun, joyful, imaginative. Love the journalling aspect of her. xox

Tracy said...

Your skeletal Frida made me laugh - you can totally tell it's her! And I hope you'll be able to take the time you need to be energised and destressed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...