Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Only in Still Water

"Only in Still Water"; 18"x24"; acrylics on canvas
It has been at least a year since I've felt so much like painting...maybe more.  I am moving into my second week of fevered days at the easel.  I feel other projects and challenges crowding my periphery, hoping that I'll notice that I am woefully behind.  Right now, however, I just want to paint and so I am temporarily suspending my participation in the 365/2013 project and Index-Card-a-Day.  I do so with a smidgen of guilt that is quickly eased by the swish of brush against canvas.  As surely as I know my name, I know that painting is calling me right now and I have to be true to that instinct.  Will I get back to those challenges?  Perhaps yes, perhaps no. 

The title of this painting, Only in Still Water, comes from the following Taoist proverb:  "No one can see their reflection in running water.  It is only in still water that we can see."  When I paint, time seems to both stop and slip away faster than ever.  I feel it is time to strip away all other distractions and simply give in to the longings of my heart.  As I pare down the things that are making demands for my attention, life becomes quieter and my vision clearer.  And then I paint some more...    

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Simply stunning canvas Michelle, thank-you so much for sharing. Follow your instincts and enjoy my lovely.
Hugs x x x x

Connie Rose said...

I love this painting! Keep doing what you're doing! xo

Molly said...

This made me stop and think. I need more 'still water' in my life. The Painting is wonderful!

Sambre said...

Oooohhh. I love this one. It's beautiful and quiet. I love cranes. So majestic and mystical, we admire them and yet, some are endangered by our own actions. Bittersweet symbol. You quote is appropriate in more than one way...

Sheila Earhart said...

Yes!! No guilt and don't "should" on yourself. Go with the creativity! So happy you're following your bliss. This painting is amazingly beautiful!!

Rock On,

Sheila in Oregon

Chris aka Scrappylassie said...

Loved your painting with all of the designs in background, beautiful colors and amazing bird! Your selection of quotes is beautiful too.

Nancy Lee said...

Wonderful colors. Go with your heart and paint. I don't have that kind of talent.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...