Wednesday, July 24, 2013

An Open Letter to My Followers

Dear Friends,

I know I said that I was taking a little blogging break but I've been doing a lot of thinking and that means changes are coming.  Trouble is I'm not sure how this blog is going to fit in with those changes and I desperately need your input.  If there was ever a time to comment, this is it.  Your comments will help me decide what to do...

A little over a year ago, I started a new little blog called Fiddlestick Hollow.  At the time, I was just beginning to ramp up my cartooning/illustration practice and thought that it would remain a separate and distinct part of my overall art life.  As they say, what a difference a year makes!

I am now fully immersed, every single day, in illustration.  My new journal project features not a single drop of paint.  Multiple mixed media layers are a thing of the past.  It is not, I suspect, what most of you are used to seeing here.  

So what do I do? Do I place all the illustration work at Fiddlestick Hollow (as I originally planned) and post here only if I have the more "traditional" journaling and painting work to show OR

Do I just let the changes sweep through Lost Coast Post, no matter how radical?  What would I do with Fiddlestick Hollow which still holds a huge part of my soul?

See, what you are witnessing here is the raw, convoluted, uncensored transformation of an artist's practice.  I am not static but dynamic and how I work is transforming to something new and different.  This is not a sudden change but one that has been at least a year in the making.  You've seen glimpses of it here and there as I shared my robots and little monsters.  However, I'm talking illustration day in and day out.  There will still be painting work to show but as far as journaling as I have in the past...well, for now, that has come to an end.  I am becoming someone new.

Question is:  Are you up for the ride?

17 comments:

girlunwinding said...

It sounds to ME like you really feel strongly about your other blog Fiddlestick Hollow and that you have outgrown the use for this one. I, in the past, had multiple blogs and found it confusing and overwhelming to post in Both. I am all about what is easy and what makes me happy so,
If it were me, I would drop this blog ( would leave it up so people could still view the work I had posted) and continue on with F.H adding other content as well. It is a good thing to let folks see all different sides to your creative soul. Either way, keep us posted so I know where to look for you most up to date ramblings ;-)
~Dawn

wildfoodgarden said...

Follow the path with the heart...

Beverley Baird said...

I visited your other blog and read through you posts. It was the last line of your first that really spoke to me:
"What's important is that I am honoring my soul's desire and that is really what it is all about"
You have to do what is right for you and your dreams. Love the idea of you pursuing writing and illustrating. Where ever you decide to be, we will follow!

Sim said...

I love your paintings a lot, and it would be a pity to close this blog full of treasures indeed!

Dawn said...

Follow your heart my lovely, your followers will soon 'follow' too. I have just popped over and done the biz as I would hate to miss anything.
Huge hugs x

Karenliz said...

It sounds like illustration is your heart and soul now and Fiddlestick Hollow is where it should be. Always follow your heart.

lee said...

I agree follow your heart, and I will follow you onto fiddlestick hollow

Rachel Mims said...

I feel like there is absolutely nothing wrong with changing the type of art that you show here - or anywhere else... all artists go through phases, and we learn and a we grow and our likes and dislikes change... I think it is interesting for that to show up on the blog -- you should be creating for you and no one else, don't worry about followers, do what makes you happy and it will show in your work and people will love you for it (and if they don't then they aren't worth the time anyways!)

Susan King said...

Do whatever YOU want to do. Your people will follow :)

Cynthia said...

I agree with the other posters--you should do what you love and we'll follow you here...or there!

Sheila Earhart said...

Your heart should always win. Not all of us have something "specific" planted in our hearts, and it takes a life time for so many of us to find it, or to realize it's already, or to feel it, or to be not too afraid to follow it when it "shows up." I'm one of those people, and I think you should celebrate that you have been given a path which you adore... follow it for sure!

Sheila in Oreon

Cindy Is Crafty said...

I say evolve and be whatever you are. We will love it and support it and read about it no matter what!

Elizabeth said...

Do what feeds your soul...most will continue to follow you. You may lose a few but you will probably gain a few too. Best wishes for whatever path you choose.

Emie58 said...

I've been following your blog for quite awhile and some how missed that you had another blog. I'm going to follow it also. I say... follow your heart... and we'll follow along!

Pam said...

I think you already know what to do...there are no mistakes, just new adventures! Good luck!

Stacey Vadaj said...

First of all you have to be true to you. if the hollow is the way you wish to follow then do... pam is right that you already know what to you want to do. people here will follow or not and new people will come to fill the vacancy left. i'll follow both and please leave up this one so i can refer back to the pages i've already saved. thanks and good luck!

Connie Rose said...

Well, if it helps, I started my blog when I was spinning and weaving...and then I got into surface design...and then art quilting...and then/now it's book arts and mixed media. Same blog. Although I still have a couple other blogs, virtually all of my art has been incorporated into my main blog, with tabs for the various media I've covered in the last six years.
If you move your blogging operation over to Fiddlestick, most definitely keep this one and link to FH right near the top, so people can find you. Devout bloggers such as myself will follow you in both places.
Have a great weekend!
Hugs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...