Thursday, June 20, 2013

A Field Guide Revealed: Day 1

I have become completely enamored with short-term journals.  Rather than working in huge bound journals filled with an endless sea of white pages, I am making my own journals from a single sheet of watercolor paper.  (Teesha Moore shows you how on her You Tube channel.)  These journals are much less intimidating and allow me to focus more closely on a single theme.  As a bonus, they are much easier to store!

Over the next couple of days, I'll be showing, in order, pages from my latest mini-journal called "Play: A Field Guide."  This one is full of exuberant patterns and quotes about play and possibilities.  With the exception of the cover, which features a bit of commercial scrapbook paper and some stamping with a commercial alphabet set, this journal is entirely hand-painted and hand lettered.

I've shown this particular page before but in order to show you the journal as it progresses page by page, I've included it again in this post.

As far as my process goes, I began by laying down blocks of vibrant watercolor and let that dry before using craft acrylics to paint various patterns.  I did all the watercoloring first and once the entire journal was dry, I began focusing on individual pages.  Once the patterns were dry, I lettered each quote.

Edit:
For Day 2 click here...
Day 3 is here and...
Day 4 is here!

6 comments:

Melanie said...

This isvey pretty and colorful.
Liefs, Melanie

Boo said...

I love your lively and vibrant colors.
What a great idea. I'm going to have to
try a single page at a time journal.

Jennifer Shelby said...

I love how bright and cheerful these are - just like play should be!

Nancy Lee said...

I really like your idea. Big, blank journals make me freeze!

Dianne said...

Your pages are gorgeous! I am a lover of bright colors and quotes, so I am 'on the same page' with you! found you through Tammy at Daisy Yellow...so glad I did. I enjoyed making a book from Teesha's video too, and should have done more...It takes me a couple of years to fill up one of those hard bound commercial journals. thanks for the inspiration!

CHERI said...

I just found your blog and read the 100+ things about you. You are definitely a very amazing and interesting person. I have done a lot of perusing of art journal information on the net recently. I got interested in it through Pinterest. I do NOT have one single artistic bone in my body but my 7 year old granddaughter loves to draw, paint, and create. Together we have made ourselves art journals and we work in them together when she visits. I find myself enjoying using water colors and acrylics and just "going with it"...I can't draw a thing but I like to put the colors on the page:) You are so talented and give me inspiration. Now I'm off to look at more of your blog. Thanks for sharing your talents and ideas. (I have a blog too but haven't written on it in more than a year now...hope to get back to it soon.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...