Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Field Guide Concludes: Day 4

My pattern play in the last several weeks owes a deep debt of gratitude to Mary Ann Moss of Dispatch from L.A..  Mary Ann has been painting gorgeous patterns for some time and I have been crazy inspired by her journals.  (She has a new class beginning July 4 called Sewn which is all about painting papers and then crafting with those papers so check it out for a fun summer treat!) My stuff feels a lot more controlled and perhaps a good deal less spontaneous than Mary Ann's work but I was going for "inspired by" and not "copied from" so it's all good.  This journal feels like it is my own style.


During the process of making this journal, I discovered that some hand-painted papers came in very handy as collage fodder.  The collage pieces add some texture amid all the painting. 

If you make one of Teesha Moore's 16-page journals (created from a single sheet of watercolor paper), you'll see that there are lots of flaps that extend the pages.  You have the option, of course, of cutting off those flaps but I love the interactivity required by all those folded pages.  


Here I've included a picture of that little flap on the right closed so you can see the pattern on the back.

And finally, the back cover...Whew!  I hope you enjoyed this field guide to play and that it has inspired you to do some playing of your own!

6 comments:

Anne said...

I love your field guide journal with all those colorful fun patterns.
I also love Mary Ann Moss style and you two together make me want to do this aswell.
Perhaps a small journal as you used it is a good way to start...
Thanks for sharing.

gypsy said...

The entire series about your field guide journal is amazing! I'm constantly inspired by the variation in your work. I always think of my handmade journals as a place to write, and the patterns and embellishments provide contrast. But in this journal, your pattern work and the quotes are the focus. Really good stuff!

Molly said...

I just tuned in:) Found you on Twitter! Just really enjoyed this Post and your lovely journal! The colors and patterns were so happy and inspiring. Made my morning!

Jennifer Shelby said...

thanks for sharing your field guide with us - so much fun!

Boo said...

I'm loving the field guide. The quotes are wonderful. I may have to use the
one about the child

SAMARA said...

just beautiful! i love your statements of gratitude and giving credit where credit is due. you must be a very kind, honest and generous person for this! it takes a special person to be so offering. I love the art. the pages are a wonderful surprise and with each flip open it gets more rich and more rich. the colors are wonderful and the blend of all your types of mixed media are just lovely. thanks for that! love and hugs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...