Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Watercolor Wednesday: Spin Me Round

Yesterday, whilst I sat in the studio wondering what the topic of today's Watercolor Wednesday would be, I remembered the spin art machine that I found in a thrift store many years ago.  This toy is probably one of the best things I've ever found in a thrift store: $4.00 for a brand new gizmo that allows me to apply paint to spinning paper.  Simple, silly fun.

I've used this machine with tempera and acrylics paints and while spinning, the colors don't mix much as they are too busy drying.  Watercolors on the other hand, stay nice and wet, allowing the colors to blend and push into one another, creating energetic lines that spin out from the center as if electrified.  I can't wait to use these pieces in my journals!  

8 comments:

Sarah said...

ooooh - I have one of these machines but I have only used it with alcohol inks and fluid acrylics, I've never tried watercolours, cool idea!

Dawn said...

Wow Michelle, what fun!! Lol I've never seen anything like that before, what an amazing find. Your papers are stunning and will make very worthy additions to your beautiful journals.
Hugs x

Connie Rose said...

Wow, these are truly wonderful. What a terrific thrift store find! Hope you're having a great week. xo

gem said...

Oh, sweet - what a lucky find! I've been contemplating taking a cheap record turntable we have and making it into a spinart machine :D Swirly colorfun, whats not to love?

gypsy said...

I'm sitting here staring at your spin art and wondering how I haven't tried this w/watercolors!!! We have a junky spin-art machine somewhere and we have used acrylics. Another way to do it is with an old salad spinner. Brilliance. Looking forward to seeing how you incorporate these in your journal.

Kaz said...

Great idea!! I'm going to go and look for my daughter's Spin Art toy she played with 13 years ago!!

kluckingbear said...

OMG! My daughter has one of those that's been gathering dust. I WILL be trying this. Looks like sooo much fun with fabulous results. Thanks for sharing!

mjk said...

oh my lord. just beautiful. wish i had one of those. hmmmm, garage sale season is upon us. tfs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...