Thursday, May 23, 2013

ICAD Inspired New Work

Typically, I create very complex journal pages, filled with layers of pattern, texture, color.  I enjoy the process of journaling and use it as a meditative practice.  Traditionally, I then cover up most of that background work with a focal image and text as as I try to bring a page to competition.  


However, sometimes (and more often now than in the past) I want that background work to remain visible and for the focal images to be simple and bold.  These journal pages were inspired by cards I created for last year's ICAD challenge.  In fact, the quotes are on index cards I cut up and glued to the journal page.  I recycle almost everything I make and 61 pieces of index card art is a lot of fodder for fresh work.  I may mutter and moan my way through the challenge at times but in the end, I am deeply appreciative of the work I generate by sticking with it.  Later, when feeling stuck, I can thumb through those cards and recreate techniques I loved or use the cards themselves in new work.

12 comments:

Anne said...

I like that a lot!
Your backgrounds are wonderful and it is such a petty when they disappear behind all kinds of stuff.
I love your doodling on them.

Melanie said...

The pages are very great. Love the way the layers are showing.
Liefs, Melanie

Connie Rose said...

I love these!

Jennifer Shelby said...

inspiring!

girlunwinding said...

great ideas all the way around. Your pages really pop!

Sim said...

GREAT! Wonderully inspired! :)

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Great, bold fun. No I am thinking I should sign up again for Icad...I have all of last years and shall promptly start to recycled them....great idea. xox

Trece said...

Great idea! Love these new works, especially the way the black makes the doodles POP!

Tracy said...

These are so much fun. And I have to say, I love your banner! Those owls have so much personality.

Kate said...

this is so good. I love the movement.

doingittheopenway said...

I love this idea! I may have to borrow it! I'm always creating backgrounds that I love, and then I find it really painful when I have to cover them up! Your pages are all really beautiful :)
Daire x

aimee said...

Gorgeous backgrounds on your pages, Michelle! Can't wait for ICAD!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...