Monday, May 6, 2013

Anatomy of a Page: Courage of the Fox

I don't do this very often because loading multiple photos in order in a Blogger post can be difficult at best but I thought I'd westle the program for today to give you a glimpse at how I develop a journal page from start to finish.

Step 1:  Collage some pieces of vintage ledger paper onto a page that has been lightly painted with turquoise craft paint.

Step 2:  Add some stamping (both bold and subtle) as well as some doodling in Neocolor II water-soluble wax pastels.  I use my non-dominant hand so the doodles are loose and playful.

Step 3:  Using a palette knife, scrape on some white paint with a couple drops of neon pink and neon yellow.

Step 4:  Reintroduce the doodling in Neocolors that got covered up in Step 3.  Scrape on more paint.  Add some strips of coordinating washi tape.  This is the push/pull part of the process that continues until I get a background that pleases me.

Step 5:  After some consideration about subject matter, prepaint a fox shape.  (The fox is my totem animal so it often appears in my work.)

Step 6:  Refine and sharpen the fox's colors and details.  Add some more doodling in paint pen and Neocolors.  Reintroduce stamping that got covered up.  I want the fox to feel anchored in the background, not floating above it.

Step 7:  Add some strips of scrapbook paper and a cookie fortune that reads:  "Courage is not the absence of fear.  It is the conquest of it."  (I didn't know the theme/meaning/point of this page until now.)  Finish off with some stamped paint rings in the same turquoise I began with in Step 1. 

14 comments:

Melanie said...

Thanks for the step by step proces. Always to see how a peace is made. The end result is very beautyful.
Liefs, Melanie

gypsy said...

One of my favorite things is to see a piece of art from start to finish, with commentary. So thank you bunches for this! My favorite phase is definitely what you have here as Step 4. When the page is in chaos and full of quirky colors and textures!

Jennifer Shelby said...

what a great tutorial, I've often wondered what all goes into these. I wonder if I have the patience... Thank you for sharing!

denthe said...

Thanks so much for explaining your process! Wonderful journalpage!

Marrianna said...

Absolutely delightful. Thank you for sharing your process.

Cookie said...

These step by step photos have made me realize that if I don't like something I just need to throw more layers on until I do! Those turquoise circles really brought depth into the piece. A lesson learned...thanks

hope said...

realy liked to see your process. and the fox is cute!

artsychick said...

Wonderful! Love your work!

Sambre said...

Seeing the transformation is really worth the effort!

Janet said...

Thanks for this step by step demo - its a great tutorial on how to get this amazing technique! And of course I love that fox!!!!

Sam said...

Thanks for sharing this, I'm another one who is fascinated by the progress of a page. Each photo has its own kind of awesomeness! Your fox is wonderful :-)

Patricia/NYC said...

Love this!! Thanks for showing your process & explaining it! Have a wonderful weekend!

i am the diva said...

thanks for sharing this... My totem is a panda and shows up quite often in my journal pages. :)

FYI - i popped over from Daisy Yellow's linky love.

Jennifer said...

oh I love the play by play on the process! Love the fox!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...