Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Sly as a Fox

As hard as it is to step away from the journaling frenzy, I've been trying to get back into the rhythm of painting every day as I have three big shows to hang in 2013 and I never seem to have enough pieces to fill the venues.  My ongoing show is titled "The Motley Menagerie" which means I am working on all sorts of critter paintings, from birds to fish and horses to beetles.

This fox painting is my most recently completed piece and I have to say, it isn't my favorite.  It isn't terrible but there's something about it that bugs me.  This is actually the second fox incarnation on this canvas; a previous attempt is buried under a coat of gesso.  However much this piece annoys me, I'm going to leave it be and move on to other work.  There's no time to waste on satisfying my inner critic.

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow, your fox is so beautifull. Love the bright orange.
Liefs, Melanie

MadameRenard said...

Well, honestly, I love this piece of art!!! :)
Probably it's because I'm very fond of foxes, but I really like colors and composition, too!

girlunwinding said...

Well he looks so sweet and soft. And I like the sparkles around him like he is fresh from a winters den.
~Dawn

Cynthia said...

I love your little fox too!! I thought his facial expression was awesome...kind of like he just finished a nice meal of rodent or something! ;-) And I agree with girlunwinding up there--he looks so soft!

Lynda said...

Stunning! My sister sees a fox on her property weekly. This is magnificent artwork!

indybev said...

I'm glad you left him be. He's quite dapper and charming! Nice work.

Adrienne Smith said...

What may be bothering you is the left side of his face, the proportion is quite off. But for an imperfect illustration that is having troubles between realistic paintings and illustration I think it is really quite fabulous! I really struggle with the same issue of realistic drawing and illustration. I am trying so hard to get to illustration. It's pretty difficult! But I do love him. And the background and how much work you put into it! :) I would hang this on my wall, definitely!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...