Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Wherein the Muse Says "Paint Beetles!"

I have two shows scheduled for 2013 and a third in the works so it is time I start shifting my focus towards adding pieces to my ongoing body of work called The Motley Menagerie.  

I began my formal art education in scientific illustration so this canvas (titled "The Collection" and 12x24 inches in size) really transported me back to the days of spending a week or more laboring over a single piece, nose just inches from the canvas and neck aching from the strain of concentration.  I love the results but hate the process.  It plays too well into my perfectionistic streak, something I am constantly trying to tame.  However, I got in my head that I was going to paint beetles and so paint beetles I must!  (As a bonus, I have 11 more critters to add to my 365/2013 character project!  Yay me!) 

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I adore this. I would happily have these lovely colourful bugs on my wall.

Barbara Hagerty said...

I love these so much!

bohemiannie! art said...

You're achieving your goal beautifully! Way to GO!

Natasha said...

Wow! I love this. They are beautiful.

Heather said...

I love the beetles, Michelle! I am fond of both insects and scientific illustrations so this is just about perfect. I also love the look of the background.

Michellem said...

Found you today through Art Journal Every Day and have been having a great time poking around. I love beetles too and spend some happy time painting them some time back. I'm your newest follower!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...