Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Thing One & Thing Two

Like many, many things in my studio (too many), I've had a jar of black gesso sitting around for a long while, purchased after seeing something that inspired me and then forgotten when the initial inspiration had been crowded out by fresh, new ideas.  I'm so glad I finally decided to experiment with this medium.  Great things can happen if you go shopping in your own studio!

Black gesso is a lovely surface to work on and I discovered in my explorations that Neocolor 2 water-soluble crayons practically glow on top of the velvety black surface.  You can use the Neocolors just like regular crayons which gives one type of look (like the orange body of this creature) or you can apply water to smooth the color application (as I did with his blue hair.)

White paint pens (or white paint applied with a very fine brush) is essential for work on black gesso to provide contrasting lines and marks.  I'm still in the experimental stages but I'd like to try regular crayons and neon paints to see how they show up.  (Note to self:  Create a sample page about black gesso for future reference.)  And best of all, if you make a mistake, you just cover things up with more black gesso and begin again.

PS...For those of you looking for Watercolor Wednesday today, this semi-regular feature here at Lost Coast Post is on hiatus again while I develop new material.  Please, if you have anything about watercolor you'd like to see addressed, leave a comment or drop me an email.  Your feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Love youre monsters. Thanks for sharing all about the black gesso and neocollor2 creons.
Liefs, Melanie

Cynthia said...

Love the little attitude Wild Thing has! These are awesome!!!

Jazmin A said...

This makes me smile. I see these little guys in a children's book.

Boo said...

I'm loving your silly monsters. Now I want to go buy black gesso

Trece said...

Love black gesso!!

artsynaturenut said...

Black gesso!! I have that on my shelf and have never used it! I can't wait to get started :-)

Natasha said...

You have reminded me how much I love black gesso, I am wondering where my jar is! Loving the characters.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...