Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to My Journal

"Sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage.  Just literally twenty seconds of embarrassing bravery and I promise you, something great will come of it."
Benjamin Mee (We Bought a Zoo)

So last week, I was working in my journal, minding my own business, when I got hit upside the head with a major case of "What If?"  It occurred to me, literally in a matter of moments, that while I had been practicing illustrating creatures and critters for some time, never once had a monster crossed the line between my sketchbook and my journals.  At the same moment in time, I felt an overwhelming urge to radically change my working style, just to see what would happen.  

So out came the black gesso.  I hesitated.  Yes, I did.  In just a second or two, several thoughts flashed through my mind:  "What if people hate this?"  "What if I hate this?"  "I can't tear out this page if it all goes to hell."  "What am I doing?"  "Why am I doing this?" 

And then, I just dipped my brush deep into the gesso and slapped a generous puddle of the inky black medium onto my page.  More panic as I realize I've applied too much and a river of gesso is in danger of running off the page, flooding the rest of my journal.  I regain my wits quickly, however, and stem the black tide.  I manage to remove the extra and let the rest dry.  Now what?

Somewhere deep inside my brain, a switch was thrown and I just knew how to proceed.  No hesitation, no fear.  This little ogre is the result.  And once I completed him, I turned the page and without a second thought, began to play with wild abandon.  This week and next, you'll see the results of letting go, of exploration, of bravery, of questioning, and answering. 

4 comments:

  1. He's lookin funny... I like this kind of fun drawng.
    Liefs, Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your monster - I very much look forward to meeting more of your black gesso creatures

    Also, not sure I have mentioned before as I usually read your blog via a reader so I don't get to see your blog header - but I adore your owls - especially the grumpy one in the middle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the chalkboard look of your little monster! He's awesome!! I can't wait to meet the rest of his crew. =D

    And ditto what Sarah said up there...I love the owls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wanna see more....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...