Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sculpture in Miniature

The new school semester begins in February and I'll be seeing three new groups of middle school kids for the Friday art classes I teach.  That means a lot of lesson planning and sample-making between now and then.  Luckily, many of those samples will count towards my goal of 365 character creations in 2013.

One of my classes for the spring semester is titled "Sculpture in Miniature."  It's an exploration of sculpture in paper, wood, wire, clay, and found objects with each project focused on creations no more than 6 inches tall.  This is partly to conserve materials but also because I discovered in a past sculpture class that students seem to love the small-scale projects best since they yielded results the kids could easily carry around and show off.  Here you see four of my tiny clay "totem" sculptures; the fox's tail comes in at just under 2 inches high!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my girl would love that! Can you do an online version??? Please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable. I know your students will love your classes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...