Monday, January 14, 2013

Scribbling Up a Storm

My wounded foot propped up on a pile of pillows, I am slowly recovering from last Monday's surgery.  While confined to the couch, I am watching lots of science fiction and working through Carla Sonheim's wonderful book, Drawing & Painting Imaginary Animals.  I started this project last fall but it got waylaid with the onset of the winter holidays.  Recuperating, it seems, is a perfect time to doodle and color all sorts of wild creatures.
 
I adore many things about this book.  First, the material is in depth; this isn't a pretty but shallow eye candy tome.  Secondly, there is a wide variety of activities, perfect to suit many moods.  If you want to paint, there are projects to satisfy that itch.  If you want to get down and dirty with fancy coloring or build critters through collage, there's guidance for that too.  Just want to wander a ball point pen across the page and see what springs to life in a scribble of black line?  You'll find all of that and more in this book.  All of the projects spark the imagination and bring the sketchbook to life with all manner of silly and curious-looking creatures.

2 comments:

  1. I love your creatures! Incidentally I've been trying to find time/mind/inspiration/guts/etc. to do this kind of thing for years, I used to and somehow lost it. I'll be sure to check out that book as well as your progress - and here's to your foot healing well too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please get better soon...but don't stop this wonderful drawing! I've heard so many good things about Carla and her book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...