Sunday, June 3, 2012

Beginning Index-Card-a-Day 2012

Nowadays, given all my unpredictable health issues & my crazy schedule as an art teacher, working artist and the mom of a live-in college student, I am very careful about the online art challenges I attempt.  I have a bit more free time during the summer so I decided to play along with a very worthwhile challenge developed by the inspirational Tammy Garcia of Daisy YellowIndex-Card-a-Day 2012 (aka ICAD).

The directive is simple: Art up a humble index card every day during June and July.  I attempted this same challenge last year but I hampered my efforts with too many self-imposed rules.  Once I fell behind, it was all over except for the "I failed" blog post.  However, I later realized a very important habit developed from my 20-day flirtation with this challenge:  The brief time I spent illustrating something every day actually did blossom into an unwavering daily cartooning practice.  Too awesome!

So once again, I am giving this game a go.  The best laid plan is to post my cards for the week every Sunday so in that spirit, here's my first three cards (June 1 through 3).

For me, the key will be to stay a couple of steps (and days) ahead.  That way, when I have an icky health moment or a day that has to be spent away from the studio, I can relax, assured that I won't get behind.  Now, in truth, it wouldn't really matter if I did miss a card or two.  It is a simple thing to just begin again.  However, it is tough emotionally to yield anything to chronic health issues and I do better if I either 1) power through anyway or 2) provide for a little safety net so projects won't hit the concrete if I am forced to take a break.

This time around, I am actually working on index cards (some lined, some gridded).  I'm lightly prepping the backgrounds in advance, mixing & matching the suggested prompts (if I use them at all), and trying to work fast, following my first impulse to see what develops.

10 comments:

  1. Your index cards are just beautiful! I always love your work though. :)

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for starting a fresh challenge with a healthy attitude. Super that you will be playing along this summer using "real" index cards this time around. I think the daily practice is what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these are bright and summery and so fun. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cards! Looking forward to seeing more of your work as I am part of the ICAD challenge too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your though process for this challenge! Your cards are beyond fantastic! I'm going to go poke around your blog more now...love your style of art.

    sweetlimes.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just love your cards. When I think back on last years ICAD I realized how big an impact it made toward my dedication to creative time. Even when life pulls me away now, I think I have a much easier time coming back to center again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those so much! the drawn squares on top of the painted squares on top of the grid index card?? I'm in love.
    I'm off to snoop around your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing and beautiful cards! so glad you are in...I will be back to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your index cards so far are fantastic, as is your attitude and game plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first three are lovely and makes me wish I had time for this challenge this year too, but alas, I'm not adding it into my schedule this year, but I will miss it. Make two cards when you're inspired and stay ahead, I think you will enjoy it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...