Monday, November 21, 2011

An Art Fail & Rescue

BEFORE
As 2011 winds down, I am going to try and get back to this space more often.  I've got many, many ideas rocketing around in my head; I just need the time to transcribe them into posts.

From time to time, I think it is important to show something that didn't work and this is a journal page that certainly fits the bill.  I'm not sure what I was thinking when I began but I do remember that it was late in the evening and I was super tired and cranky. I was trying to force the art from my brain and in the process, made a critical error.

I began this epic art fail by stenciling with light molding paste.  Once the paste was dry, the coral stencil suddenly looked like an old tree and because of the bluish background, I thought a tree in full autumn splendor would make a nice contrast.  So I used a palette knife to apply heavy body acrylics to represent the foliage.  That would have been a great idea except for the fact that the molding paste created a very dimensional surface and without the addition of a texture medium, the paint simply sank into the crevices around the "tree branches."  It looked terrible and I cursed like a sailor at the wet mess I had created.  I couldn't tear the page out so I decided to let it dry and attempt a rescue in the morning.

AFTER
The essential problem was that the "leaves" didn't read as being on top of the branches, especially up close.  I considered several solutions.  I crinkled little pieces of tissue paper and placed them on the tree to represent the leaves - too bulky and quite frankly, too cheesy.  I thought about gessoing over the whole mess but that damn molding paste would've shown right through.  I could've applied more molding paste but the page would've become impossibly thick.  Same problem if I tried to apply more paint to build up the "leaves."  Ultimately, I opted to increase the contrast between the background and foliage by applying Payne's gray shadows and pulling the background color up and over the molding paste branches.  This serves to lessen the immediate visual impact of the molding paste's dimension.  This page doesn't stand up to much close scrutiny but I think I actually like the final result.

1 comment:

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...