Sunday, August 7, 2011

Rising to the Surface

The twin forces of ill health and technological meltdown have conspired against my blogging practice these last few days but I've got my sunglasses on so I can tolerate the computer's glare and it looks like my ISP got their act together (in time to email my bill of course!) so I'm hoping I can get back on track.  Thanks for your patience!

I've been quietly and steadily working in my journal and out of it as well.  Dina Wakely's "Out of the Journal" challenge for August coincides nicely with my show prep so I am participating in that this month.  Do yourself a favor and go gawk at Dina's incredible canvases; she does some stunning work!

For my part, I've latched on to a tiny idea, partly because I'm running out of time (the show's in October) and partly because this particular notion has been hanging around my brain for months now.  I think it is important to pay attention to the nagging sparks of inspiration so I am attempting to see it through.  I began with a bird and wasn't sure if I wanted to 1) concentrate on birds or 2) stray outward into the animal kingdom.  So I played around with an 8x10-inch canvas and this is what swam in this weekend.

I'm not sure that I really like this fish and in fact, a whole boatload of doubt surfaced with him.  I have to be careful assessing my work when I'm not feeling well but I'm now less sure about my idea than when I started.  Unfortunately, (or perhaps fortunately) I don't really have any time left to haggle about the show's content or technique; I just have to get the work done.  I've gesso'd up some more canvases and I'm going to experiment today with something a little larger to see if the technique holds up with magnification.  Wish me luck...

8 comments:

  1. This is brilliant. The backgound colours are gorgeous and I love the way you have left the majority of the fish plain. Looking at the bird, these canvases are all going to be really great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I LOVE that fish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work, ideas, and creativity astound me Michelle! I so love the fish, all the detail again, the contrast, and the background of the fish is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it's any consolation, I have absolutely NO DOUBTS! Your Fish is incredible. Love it! Keep going. Your show will be, well, show stopping! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the fish...he's swimmingly awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if it would look better with the fish colored... but I have not been art journaling that long, so what do I know. The drawing in itself is fantastic... Love how he curls up on the page. Great composition... And LOVE the background colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love that fish! (though I never thought I'd say that sentence LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovin' the fish...I definitely think you should roll with it (or swim with it, as the case may be). Good luck with your preparations!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...