Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Journaling Revolution

I've been in the zone all day, constructing another Full Tilt Boogie journal.  When I finally peeked over the sewing machine, I realized it was getting late and I didn't want to miss a day of blogging.  I'm still not sure if I'll actually make it through 90 days of continuous posting but I already feel much more comfortable with my blog and getting to the keyboard each day is becoming easier with each passing post.

I have to say that this new art journal class with Mary Ann Moss of Dispatch from L.A. has revolutionized how I journal.  Here's how I typically approach journaling:  Get an idea, like say "Today I'll write about going to the farmer's market" or "I'm going to use this particular collage image" or "I need to get some things about my health off my chest" and THEN I proceed to develop a page.

The amazing Ms. Moss works in the opposite manner.  She just starts working and discovers the content that needs to bubble to the surface.  The process, rather than the product, is the driving force of page creation.  This is not a new concept but its one I've never really grasped or embraced.  I am such a control freak that it is super hard for me to not have my plan all laid out in advance.  The problem is that my way of doing things squishes all spontaneity like a bug.  And the most profound and important stuff is often in the subconscious.  If I only give voice to whatever's on the tip of my tongue, the shy thoughts and observations never get to see the light of day.  So I am practicing working without a map or compass.  I just start wandering and after a while, I stop and look at how far I've gotten.  It is definitely scary but also rather wonderous.

1 comment:

  1. Obviously, I read your previous post first . . . . and, obviously . . . you're enjoying the journey!!! Kudos!!!! Hugs, TErri xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...