Thursday, June 16, 2011

Here Be Gnomes! ICAD 13 and 14

Pan Pastels, Inktense, Microns
I'm humming right along with the Index Card-a-Day Challenge and these two cards begin my exploration of the theme "The Fair Folk."  The colors got a bit washed out in the scanning process but I used Pan Pastels to create soft, unobtrusive backgrounds for my illustrations.  The muted environment contrasts nicely with the boldness of the Inktense pencils.

I've realized that these little drawings may work perfectly as studies for larger works (although I'm not sure if there's a market for gnome or robot paintings.)  I have a big show coming up in October and I am still themeless but doing these small pieces is creating all sorts of new connections in my brain.  I feel like I am exercising a muscle long neglected but, like the proverbial bike riding abilities, my cartooning skills are slowly reawakening.  I've never been super adept at illustration but I've also never pursued it seriously.  I do adore it and for now, the play is enough.

On a side note, I get my stitches out today and I am completely unhappy about that prospect.  It is probably the thing I hate the most about post-surgery care.  Ick!  I never fail to cry like a baby and it is embarrassing.  But I'll manage to get through and move on to physical therapy.  I'm lucky to have had the same PT group for seven of my surgeries and they play a big part in my recovery.  Whenever I begin PT following a surgery, I know I've turned the corner.

3 comments:

  1. Love the Fair Folk and hope to see more. Glad to have discovered your blog via daisy yellow! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your gnome ICADs! Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little gnomes are perfectly delightful! Hope that the stitches came out more easily than you thought they would, and that you'll begin PT soon! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...