Friday, June 17, 2011

Doing the Full Tilt Boogie!

I have been in journal binding bliss all day thanks to yet another fabulous online class from the incomparable Mary Ann Moss of Dispatch from L.A.  It is called "Full Tilt Boogie" and it has thrown me into a whirlwind of art-making.  This is the best time I've had in my studio in months!

I've had the privilege of taking every single one of Mary Ann's classes and I can't say enough good things about Ms. Moss as a teacher.  Her content, technical presentation, and student support are unmatched.

The first of four different journals debuted this morning and I was delighted to discover that it is a binding technique that I already know.  So I began immediately, turning my studio upside-down in the process.  As my son squeezed past the stacks of paper ringing the studio table, he remarked "Wow!  Your work space is pathetic!"  Oh yeah!  I must be doing something right!  (It is a well-known axiom of art that your actual work area shrinks in proportion to the level of your enthusiam for a project.)

In this particular class, Mary Ann is teaching us how to repurpose vintage photo albums, ledgers, old books and the like.  I didn't have any spare resources to acquire any special supplies (including the Victorian albums featured) so I am drinking in Ms. Moss's instruction and spinning off in my own direction.  Adaptation and innovation is highly encouraged as is using what you already own.  I love that!  I daresay I have enough stuff in my studio to make many, many journals.

Edit:  I've completed the sewn part of my first Full Tilt Boogie journal.  Here's a picture of the signatures, now bound together, waiting patiently to be attached to the covers.  I have a wild idea for the covers but it will have to wait until this evening as my son has this silly notion that he should eat dinner!  So I'm going to tear myself away from this project and manage some sort of meal... 

5 comments:

  1. Wow Michelle! You were so very fast on Journal number 1! It's amazing--so smart how you did the covers. I'm going to use a regular old book for my first one, too, b/c I've yet to find an album. See you in class, and again, awesome first journal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your book looks gorgeous, and I think it's awesome that you are making the class work for you and what you have. I have been reading a little bit about this class around the Internet today, and it sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow-you are fast! great looking book, look forward to starting mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your FTB journal and how used what you have. It turned out really great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! I'm just now catching up (after an emergency root canal that didn't go so well). I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this journal, Michelle! Had to chuckle at your diminishing workspace remark -- I always start off with a clean space and end up working in an area that's about 12"x12"!!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...