Monday, June 13, 2011

The Circus Closes: ICAD 11 and 12

With these two circus characters, I have finished my second set of doodles for the Index Card-a-Day Challenge (ICAD.)  While I am admittedly only 12 days into this event (I typically tire of daily challenges around Day 30), I am loving working on these 3 by 5-inch "canvases."

My main trick for staying current?  I sketch out (and sometimes even outline) the next day's card once I finish the coloring and shading of the day's illustration.  That way, if I wake up feeling poorly, all the "thinking" work is already done and I can just relax.  People who are collaging their cards could gather up a few bits for the next day's card or color the background in advance.  I suppose it is cheating a bit but let's face it: we're not on the ball every day and life has a nasty habit of getting in the way.  If you already have a small jumpstart on the day's card, you're more likely to be able to finish it up once you tackle the suddenly sick family member, the self-replicating laundry pile or the "Oops! There It Is!" appointment that appears on your calendar.

Another important thing to remember is that if you fall behind...DON'T GIVE UP! Take a day off (in addition to the one(s) you missed) and then if you still feel drawn to the challenge after a breather, pick it back up again the following day.  Adjust the parameters of the challenge to make it work for you.  Maybe you can only manage 5 cards a week.  Maybe drawing every day is too draining if you are more comfortable with collage (or vice versa.)  Daily art doesn't have to equal a specific number of pieces at the end of the specified time frame.  

Anyhoo, here's the next prompt I'm using (beginning June 15 and running through the 20th): "The Fair Folk."  I think there's some gnome love on the horizon...

1 comment:

  1. Your post is "Raining Men" today, and they're adorable, Michelle! I began to realize that I DID have to adjust this challenge a bit. Got got having to have an emergency root canal last week, and lost two days. That's when I realized that I'd have to "tweek" my dedication a bit!!! Can't wait to see those gnomes!!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...