Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Changing How I Document My Days

Work inside my first Boogie journal continues:  Shown from top to bottom are three days' worth of spreads from June 27 through the 29th.  I've been having a lot of fun pushing the boundaries of what I typically do with my visual journals.

I've never really been the type for a "catch all" journal.  In fact, I suppose some would say I obsessively compartmentalize - one journal for daily diary stuff, another for character creation & storytelling, yet another for "affirmational" work and dozens of plain spiral-bound books for sketches, creative writing, and project planning.  As I work through this new style of journal, I realize that my illustration work has to stay separated in my faithful black sketchbooks.  For that, I need a simple, consistent format.

However, these Boogie journals are inspiring me to add a little bit of everything alongside my daily musings and observations: a little poetry, some illustrations, hand lettering, altering, collage...basically whatever tickles my fancy in the moment.  All that random stuff may seem disjointed and unconnected but I am working under some self-imposed supply limitations to keep that feeling to a minimum.

And most importantly, I'm just playing!  I'm also not known for my spontaneity but I am working hard at listening to my gut and just moving forward with my first impulse.  It is good for the soul and honestly, I have plenty of other journals and projects where I can plan things down to the last, itty bitty detail.  

5 comments:

  1. Just wandered over from FTB ... Michelle, your journal is amazing. Keep on experimenting with your new approach. You are obviously on the right track. I love it. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your pages! Your style shines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your pages are just fab as I look through the blog! wo what colour what style! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love your journal pages and will return often for inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such luscious eye candy, Michelle! You are inspiring me. I, too, have a tendency to get caught up in my own version of "perfection" and "detail". Just "playing" sounds like a lot of fun. I've got a new journal, and I think it's time to try a new style. Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...