Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Boogie Update: 2nd Journal Complete!

My second journal (featuring the first binding style we've learned in Full Tilt Boogie) is complete.  The covers are from a vintage ledger that I then stamped with a hand carved stamp and gold gesso.  Originally, I left the covers plain when I finished the binding last night but after tossing and turning, I awoke this morning knowing I needed to "glitz" it up a bit as there was too much contrast between the fancy, colorful binding and the plain Jane covers.  Here's a shot of the binding.
Let's zoom in for a detail shot of the binding which includes some uber fancy brads I've been hording for years.  (Stop collecting and start using, people!)

And finally, a shot of one of the interior spreads.  For the signatures. I used some scrapbook papers, advertisements and old book pages but mostly manila folders and watercolor paper so I have lots of space to doodle and paint.

 Some things I've learned while making these journals:
  • Tighten each line of binding stitches before moving on to the next row.
  • Double check each row of stitches for loops that didn't get pulled all the way through before moving on to the next row.
  • Try to do the stitching all in one sitting.  The building momentum as you progress through the signatures keeps you clear-headed.
  • Try and stitch with one length of thread, even if that means it feels awkward when you start.  My old bookbinding instructor, Shereen LaPlantz, recommended this formula for determining how much thread you need:  height of book times number of signatures plus a little extra for comfort room.  Works like a charm!
  • Try to pull/push the needle straight through the holes as pulling/tightening to the side increases the chances of tearing through the signatures.
  • When assembling pages for the signatures, thumb through them as if they were bound so you can see how they relate before you punch holes and stitch them up.  
  • Slow down!  Enjoy the process!

6 comments:

  1. Your journal is beautiful! I love the combo of the gold stamping and the colorful fabric strips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful book! I especially love your pages. Thanks for sharing the formula for determining length of thread. You're so right about it being easier to stitch the binding in one sitting and with a single length of thread, no matter how long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thud!!! (sound of jaw dropping and hitting floor)
    Your journal is FABULOUS!!!! LOVE your cover -- stamping with gold gesso was a brilliant idea!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Second - wow! Nice job! Your book looks totally fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your journals. These rock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, your journal is gorgeous. I love the fabric, button, thread combo, it really makes the binding "pop"!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...