Thursday, March 24, 2011

Taking Things Stitch By Stitch

As I stated in my previous post, I've been spending my days trying to figure out where my artistic life is headed and one thing I know for sure is that part of my heart lies deeply buried in my fabric stash.

For the better part of two years, an insistent internal whisper has been floating around in my head:  "Get out of the house, you crazy, shut-in lady and go find your tribe!"  So last month, I finally jumped in with both feet and joined a local quilt guild.

I've made exactly one quilt in my lifetime but even though I never really did much else with it, I've collected fabric over the years because...well, I could.  I mean, look at it all!  So luscious!  I'm not planning to ditch painting or journaling or mixed media any time soon but for a while now, I've wanted to take my relationship with my sewing machine to the next level.

My goals are very, very simple.  I want to get out of the house and make contact with like-minded adults and secondly, I want to learn enough about quilting and sewing to make soft, functional goodies for me and mine.


And as it happens, the quiet, deliberate act of sewing (either by hand or machine) is extremely meditative and it appeals to that part of me that longs to slow down and listen to time tick away.  I absolutely believe that balance in all things is important but I really haven't been very good at applying that principle to my own life.  Too often, I am frantically playing catch-up after a bad run of health issues, holding my breath and hoping I have enough time to get everything accomplished before it all hits the fan again.  Instead of always running ragged, I need to make time for gentle living.  It is time to learn how to take things stitch by stitch.

2 comments:

  1. Your fabric stash is luscious, Michelle. I can see why you'd like to explore the world of quilts and add some sewing to your artistic repertoire. Most importantly . . . have fun on the journey! Hugs & Happy Weekend! Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmygosh! I see fabric journals, lunch sack gift bags, wall hangings....etc. What a gorgeous stash of beautiful fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...